Restoring wood panelling help

Everything you need to know about finishing.
Tom900

Restoring wood panelling help

Postby Tom900 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi , I'm new to this but thought I'd ask !
Were renovating a house with oak panelling it's baked in the sun for 10 years and not been touched ,it almost looks like it's been limed ( very white) . Have started to clean it with Liberian wax remover which brings it up reasonably . Does anybody know of anything better? And which wax would be the best to finish with ? There appears to be sections with a different colour to them , is it best to get a shaded wax to bring it all to the same colour?
Many thank

promhandicam

Re: Restoring wood panelling help

Postby promhandicam » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:49 pm

welcome to the forum. as the old saying goes, a picture paints a thousand words . . .

Tom900

Postby Tom900 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:01 pm

IMG_0378.JPG
Here goes ......I'm struggling to load more but will keep trying

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:24 am

I'd be inclined to get most of the surface stuff off using a cabinet scraper first. You need to have all of it looking basically the same colour/shade before rewaxing or finishing otherwise you will see different colours and shades.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:57 pm

Tom900 wrote:Hi , I'm new to this but thought I'd ask !
Were renovating a house with oak panelling it's baked in the sun for 10 years and not been touched ,it almost looks like it's been limed ( very white) . Have started to clean it with Liberian wax remover which brings it up reasonably . Does anybody know of anything better? And which wax would be the best to finish with ? There appears to be sections with a different colour to them , is it best to get a shaded wax to bring it all to the same colour?
Many thank

I don't do this type of restoration work (Finishing) but I did read a book were the author used ammonia vapour and sealed the room to captivate the vapour which in turn changed the colour of oak. I think the work was carried out in a Bank. Might be worth researching. Personally I think oak looks nice when it's aged.

Return to “Finishing”