Custom built wardrobe. Best Materials

Everything you need to know about finishing.
Jrterror0

Custom built wardrobe. Best Materials

Post by Jrterror0 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:23 am

Hi
I'm wanting to build a wardrobe in our hallway. It will be constructed in a corner, by the front door.
I am wondering what are the best sheeting materials to use for its construction. There appear to be a lot of conflicting information and opinions on the web. We don't have loads of money to chuck at it.
At first I thought MDF, but wondered if it would warp. Would ply be better? Should I be building it using multiple materials? Would one sheeting be better suited for the doors for instance?

Many thanks
Oh, and does anyone know of any sites that have useful design ideas, or blueprints or videos.
Ta again.
D

promhandicam

Re: Custom built wardrobe. Best Materials

Post by promhandicam » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:33 pm

Welcome to the forum. I personally would make it out of 18mm moisture resistant mdf. The only thing to be aware of is that you need to avoid any long unsupported horizontal components as they will sag.

Jrterror0

Post by Jrterror0 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:02 am

Hi.
Thanks for the reply. What would be the max length of horizontal components? If this measurement exceeds the desired shelf width, what should I construct the shelves from? Plywood?
Thanks again
D

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:13 pm

My first thoughts would also be moisture resistant MDF. You can buy the stuff in different thicknesses but as Steve says in general 18mm is often used as standard.

One of the reasons for moisture resistant MDF is it tends to machine and take paint better than standard MDF it also has the properties of moisture resistance making it more stable in use and in damp locations.

My last project was made using 18mm MR/mdf for the doors and side panels then 25mm MR/mdf for the shelves. I made the doors similar to shaker style so used 18mm for the frames and 6mm for the inset flat panels.

You can use a mix of materials if you want, some people might use MFC (melamine faced chipboard) for partitions and framing panels then cover any exposed surfaces with MDF. Some people use softwood to strengthen under shelving then paint it in to match the MDF.

The advantage of MR/MDF is it comes in sheet form that can be cut down and made into almost any cupboard component so it's an ideal choice. It has a nice smooth flat surface that looks good after painting.

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:52 pm

Jrterror0 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:02 am
Hi.
Thanks for the reply. What would be the max length of horizontal components? If this measurement exceeds the desired shelf width, what should I construct the shelves from? Plywood?
Thanks again
D
I wouldn't go more than about 800mm, but if you need to then you can add a timber batten underneath to strengthen it.

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Post by Leveller2911 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:19 pm

I would usually go for Medite MRMDF but I'm pricing some wardrobes at the moment and the client is adam ant he doesn't want MDF so I'm considering Tulip/Polplar ply made by Garnica (iirc) through Lathams. I have a sample and it looks very good, no voids and will sand well and take paint so has anyone had an experience of using Poplar ply ?..

Jrterror0

Post by Jrterror0 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:06 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Decisions decisions!

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:58 am

Leveller2911 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:19 pm
I'm considering Tulip/Polplar ply made by Garnica (iirc) through Lathams. I have a sample and it looks very good, no voids and will sand well and take paint so has anyone had an experience of using Poplar ply ?..
This may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvAQMc3ox_c

Doing a search on this product it seems to be about twice the price of MRMDF but looks to machine well so could well be a good alternative.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Post by davidpidge » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:06 pm

Poplar ply is incredibly soft and not durable but of its melamine faced (or similar) its ideal for large carcasses as its really light.

will1983

Post by will1983 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:58 am

Leveller2911 - I think I would go back to the Client and suggest veneered MDF for the carcassing and MRMDF for the outside parts.

I'd qualify my proposal with the following explanation;
MDF has had a terrible rap in the past few years, a reputation that is well deserved when you look at the poor quality junk sold in the DIY sheds. As most people are only ever exposed to this stuff their opinions are somewhat skewed.
Proper cabinet grade material is an entirely different animal, strong (comparatively), takes paint well, stays flat, holds coarse threaded screws well and it machines nicely. Oh and the fact that if you want it from solid timber it'll be 4-5 times the price!

I regularly have this discussion with Clients ignorant (in it's true meaning and not the derogatory sense) of the facts.
I usually take a prefinished sample of the veneered MDF and painted MRMDF I use with me, they are always surprised at the density and the quality of the finish. I've not had a Client yet that wasn't convinced.

I also stress that I wouldn't want to use the DIY quality material as it shares none of those qualities and would just make my life unnecessarily hard.

JrTerror0 - FYI i make the majority of my carcasses from 19mm oak veneered mdf - oiled with osmo on all the visible faces. Joinery is biscuits and TurboGold screws. The doors and exterior trims are 18 or 25mm MRMDF sprayed with Morrells water based lacquers.

If you want to see a wardrobe set I've just finished have a look at my Instagram and Facebook pages.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Post by Leveller2911 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:03 pm

Meccarroll wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:58 am

This may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvAQMc3ox_c

Doing a search on this product it seems to be about twice the price of MRMDF but looks to machine well so could well be a good alternative.
Cheers for that, I have a sample now and like the look of it. I really don't like MDF so I might try and push Tulip ply over MDF. The vast majority of the cost of my jobs is labour so I think a few ££££ extra will be work for me..

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.. ;)

thekarter
Occasional Poster

Post by thekarter » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:24 am

If you check out this youtube link and fast forward to the Master Bedroom. The wardrobes panels are from MDF and the columns of Tulip wood all hand painted. Carcasses are from Birch Ply. They were inspired by wardrobes made by Clive Christian. I visited one of their showrooms and checked how and from what their wardrobes were made.
In a recent project of lounge units I made the carcasses of MDF finished with Bees Wax, simple and effective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-KEcX3oAxM
Alan