Making "Shine Juice"

If the work spins rather than the tool, this is the place for you.
TeamWild

Making "Shine Juice"

Post by TeamWild » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:44 pm

I was watching Captain Eddie on YouTube and he suggest a concoction for making his own recipe for shine juice and shows how it's applied.
http://youtu.be/7obdn9xDVaA
The recipe is given 4 minutes in (but it's worth watching the whole video).

My question is where can I get denatured alcohol and would Meths or white spirit work instead?

Also, the web seems to suggest that shellac isn't particularly hard wearing. Would I be better using varnish for a long lasting high shine?

woodsmith
Subscriber

Re: Making "Shine Juice"

Post by woodsmith » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:59 am

Denatured alcohol is meths to us Brits. The purple they add is to try to stop people drinking it and it normally doesn't cause a problem. You may be able to get clear meths at the chemist if you look sufficiently sober, I obviously didn't and they wouldn't sell me any!

I would say shellac is reasonably durable, acrylic and polyurethane varnishes are tougher but don't look the same. You can get epoxy finishes which are very tough and can give a glass like finish but you are moving well away from a more natural look.
Keith

7sheds

Post by 7sheds » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:26 am

Meths should do the job but if you really want it clear, pick some up when you or a friend visits France. Look for 'Alcool a bruler'. It seems you can buy 'rubbing alcohol' in the UK e.g. http://www.soapsupplier.co.uk/products/ ... Atzk8P8HAQ

Check what you're getting though, some rubbing alcohol is isopropyl. You want ethyl.

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:02 pm

I imagine that the op has sorted this by now as this topic is nearly 3 years old!

7sheds

Post by 7sheds » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:21 pm

Yes, I noticed that after I'd posted it. Not a very busy board!