Homemade tools with carbide cutters

If the work spins rather than the tool, this is the place for you.
TeamWild

Homemade tools with carbide cutters

Postby TeamWild » Fri May 09, 2014 9:52 am

Hi Guys,
After watching many YouTube videos on the use of carbide cutters, I thought I'd have a crack at making some.... well the handle and bar at least.

Making the handle was straight forward enough and I used a nice piece of Oak. I wanted a long and thick handle
Using a12 inch length of 1/2" round "bright steel", I profiled a section to mount the cutter. This was done with a grinder and a steel file.
I then drilled a 4mm hole and tapped it with a M5 0.8 tap so that I could mount the cutter.
The bar was glued into the handle with epoxy.
The cutters were ordered from the States and arrived in about a week.

Here is a picture of the final article:
IMG_0371-1.jpg
Home made tool with changeable cutter

Now my tool is lovely BUT has anyone else had issues with these cutters? After it's first outing making an ash bowl I found that there were chips out of the cutter. Is this normal?
photo1.jpg
Cutter with chips

I contacted the seller and suggested it's a manufacturing problem and he's sending out a new one but I'm wondering if it could be down to my "ham fistedness".

Doug
Subscriber

Re: Homemade tools with carbide cutters

Postby Doug » Fri May 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Carbide tips can chip very easily though usually not on wood more likely if caught on the tool rest or knocked against other tools etc.

TeamWild

Re: Homemade tools with carbide cutters

Postby TeamWild » Wed May 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks Doug.
Captain Eddie is sending me a replacement cutter and I'll just have to be more careful this time.

BTW, your Facebook page is AWESOME. I love the nesting owl.

Return to “Turning”