What do other members do with the items they turn

If the work spins rather than the tool, this is the place for you.
Rich D

What do other members do with the items they turn

Postby Rich D » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:57 pm

What do other members do with the items they turn, once you have run out of friends and relatives to give to. Is selling at craft fairs easy for turners?
woodturning for me is only a hobby.

promhandicam

Re: What do other members do with the items they turn

Postby promhandicam » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:06 pm

Welcome to the forum Rich. Prepare yourself for some replies that may not be what you are hoping for :lol:

Doug
Subscriber

Postby Doug » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:56 am

Craft fairs can be a quick way to loose money, you have to be sure the price to stand is one that will allow you to make profit. Add to that that if it pisses it down with rain the footfall will be next to nothing but you will still have to pay for your pitch.

I never bothered with craft fairs as I've heard too many horror stories, the trick to do is visit those in your locality, ask the venders how they are doing, look how many are doing turned work & what price they are selling it for.

Only you can do the maths as it depends on what profit you want to make. Some are only interested in breaking even, it pays for their hobby, if they do turn a profit then that's a bonus. If you competing with someone like that you will always be on to a looser.

Personally I've sold a fair bit through Facebook, a page on there is free so I just put lots of my work on my page, friends "liked" it which meant their friends saw my work & although slow at first it was surprising how quickly it snowballed. To keep the page free don't run it as a business with prices instead suggest folks contact you directly if they would like anything they see.

The main thing in however you sell your work is to keep the overheads down, church & school fairs can be good, simple quick to turn items like mice sell well & if you offer a percentage of your takings instead of a fixed price for a stall you won't be out of pocket if if no one turns up.

The main thing is to do your homework & be realistic, best of luck

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:50 pm

The only turning I do is head turning when I drive past a tall leggy big booby blonde. ;)

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:37 pm

Doug wrote:To keep the page free don't run it as a business with prices instead suggest folks contact you directly if they would like anything they see.

Lots of pages have prices .. and run for free ..

I put some prices on FB ,
but tend to get people to ask.. so I don't have to keep updating prices every year or so :-)

justaskin
Occasional Poster

Postby justaskin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:43 am

Hi Richd

Prepare to learn what mr average is like. Craft fairs and church do's seem to attract in the main a bunch of losers who want something for nothing, even wanting you to pay them for taking your work of art off your hands.
To sum it up, the vast majority wouldn't give you "tuppence for the crown jewels".

Who's cynical

Richard

Doug
Subscriber

Postby Doug » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:03 am

tusses wrote:
Doug wrote:To keep the page free don't run it as a business with prices instead suggest folks contact you directly if they would like anything they see.

Lots of pages have prices .. and run for free ..

I put some prices on FB ,
but tend to get people to ask.. so I don't have to keep updating prices every year or so :-)

Yep Rich you are spot on, but if Facebook notice & deem you a business they will ask you to pay or shut you down, which as a mate can confirm is bloody annoying when when you've put time & effort into building a page that is bringing in moderate returns but not enough to warrant paying for.

Rich D

Postby Rich D » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:27 am

Thanks to you all for the feeback. :)

Return to “Turning”