lathes

If the work spins rather than the tool, this is the place for you.
martinj

lathes

Post by martinj » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:07 am

Good morning.
I am hoping somebody can help.
I am going to purchase a lathe and it needs to be able to cope with 60" max inch pieces of timber, the cross section will be no bigger than 2 x 2, I plan to make snooker/pool cues a majority of which will be 1 pc, I currently repair a lot and used to make them when I was in my 20's -the problem I have found is that the only lathes that have bolt on extensions seem to be in America and everything I have looked at recently is no longer than 40" - will I have to make an extension my self or does somebody know of another way around it ? - I am also looking at the purchase of kd exotic hardwoods and min AA graded ash of the turning, I know it's a lot to ask on a first post but any information would be helpful. Many Thanks

katellwood
Occasional Poster

Re: lathes

Post by katellwood » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:11 pm

There are often lathe parts advertised on auction sites where the headstock, tailstock and banjo bolt to a cast bed

You could rig up something like this where within reason the bed length can be what you want it to be

I've also seen examples where a slot in a workbench can act as a lathebed if space is limited

For hardwoods try Timberline in Tonbridge, Kent http://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

martinj

Post by martinj » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:41 pm

That's really helpful, I hadn't thought of auctions, the pic helps as well, cheers

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:31 pm

I have a set up with the double wooden rails .. all hand built. Draw bar spindle (ala spindle moulder) at the chuck end , belt driven, and a kind of brackety set up on the tail end .. I didn't built it .. inherited .. but it's great for the longer stuff :-)
The good thing with wood lathes, is the set up doesn't have to be precise to get good results

martinj

Post by martinj » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:58 am

I know what you mean, a lot of it is the finishing sander/hand, what sort of grain sealer would you recommend for ash and maple, those are the 2 I would probably use in the long term, and maybe swiss pear