Spindle sled

If the work spins rather than the tool, this is the place for you.
Doug
Subscriber

Spindle sled

Postby Doug » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:03 pm

As mentioned in another thread I`ve had a go at making a sled for the spindle.

As I haven`t a miter slot the sled will have to run against the fence so with this in mind I realised the base will get cut & so wont last long before it needs replacing.

I wanted a means of securing the workpiece to the sled so as this is a prototype I bought a cheap set of £5 clamps from Screwfix.

I cut the ends off & drill holes in the ends of the bar for spring pins.

Having got rid of my RAS I re-used the Oak fence from it as a back stop for the sled, chiseling holes in it for the clamp bars to fit through.

Holes where then chiseled in the base to house the spring pins.

The back stop was then fixed to the 18mm MDF base, this was drilled & fixed with bolts so the base can be easily replaced.

The sled in use (guards removed for photographic purposes :P ) I screwed a sacrificial fence to the Oak to prevent breakout.
Whilst it worked well, I would be interested it others opinions, particularly any ideas on improving it, as I`ve said it`s only a prototype.

The bolts will be cut shorter :lol:

karl
Subscriber

Re: Spindle sled

Postby karl » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:47 pm

I've got to make something similair for use with my tenon blocks on the spindle. I've been trying to do a search as I seem to recall seeing something similair on either here or UKW in the past, but I can't seem to find it.

Cheers

Karl

Doug
Subscriber

Postby Doug » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:07 pm

karl wrote:I've got to make something similair for use with my tenon blocks on the spindle. I've been trying to do a search as I seem to recall seeing something similair on either here or UKW in the past, but I can't seem to find it.

Cheers

Karl

I couldn`t find anything when I searched Karl.

karl
Subscriber

Postby karl » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:19 pm

I've been wondering whether something like this could be modified to fit my spindle. Sedgwick want £700 plus for one of their tables.

Might give Axi a ring to see if one of their technical guys can cast any light on it.

Cheers

Karl

Return to “Turning”