Exhibition/shop stand knock down fittings?

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Exhibition/shop stand knock down fittings?

Postby davidpidge » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:57 pm

I've been asked to price for some display stands. They currently use cardboard flat pack jobbies that slot together. They want a more durable option to sell to retailers and for use at shows. I'm using 18mm poplar plywood (lightweight) for the whole thing (am considering lightweight MDF but have no experience of it's durability.)

This is the display unit....
Stand 1.jpg

My initial idea was to use the new domino fix connectors http://www.dominofix.com/dominofix-glue ... enons.html but I'd prefer a tool less option for end user convenience and I'm not convinced a screw-into-plastic connector will last after a few assemblies/dis-assemblies.
Does anyone have any connector recommendations for connecting the shelves/18mm back to the sides of the unit? Slot together preferred and flush mounting. At the moment i'm probably just going to use 2 part modesty blocks as they hold the bolt in when disassembled.

mark270981
Subscriber

Re: Exhibition/shop stand knock down fittings?

Postby mark270981 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:52 pm

6 to 7 hundred quid each plus vat!

More if spray finished.

I would use rafix fixings as that is metal to metal fixings
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:55 pm

Why not replicate what how the cardboard stands are made, but make them out of 6mm mdf and get them laser cut - something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/122005405493

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:14 am

mark270981 wrote:6 to 7 hundred quid each plus vat!

More if spray finished.

I would use rafix fixings as that is metal to metal fixings

I already use rafix and they are good but I was worried they might not last. The screw cam part is quite soft and can be stripped if you're a bit forceful with the screwdriver. They're probably the better option though. Thanks for the price! Glad to see my pricing isn't far off.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Anybody have recommendations for the stand material? I'm pretty set on poplar ply. Would lightweight MDF be suitable or is their any other options? I'm going to price for painting and getting some Formica added to the ply for durability.

furynaturre
Subscriber

Postby furynaturre » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Finsa do a product called Twin Ply, which is a softwood ply core with clear grade birch faces, it's way lighter and cheaper than through and through birch ply and I've always liked the sound of it coupled with a funky 2mm ABS edge... Ply is never the straightest bear this in mind as if they have to moved and assembled regularly this may cause issue for those doing that work, I note the design would pull things square howvever!

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:00 pm

That sounds like an interesting product. We do a lot with Birch ply and it is HEAVY and expensive. A lot of the time we do want the nice edge of the ply but for carcasses the Twin ply sounds ideal. Cheers!

Return to “Projects”