Whisky Wall Cabinet

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
bloonose
Occasional Poster

Whisky Wall Cabinet

Postby bloonose » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:23 pm

Made this yesterday, went to fit barrel hinges today but dont quite work so abandoned that and will fit butt type when I pick some small ones up. Door has live edge on one side and pics hard to take in lighting. Got sample of new oil system to try on it, will report back on that to see if better than Osmo. Few small other things still to do, hanging brackets and prob magnets to fit to hold door shut. Cant make my mind up if I should fit a handle or use bottom of door for opening :?

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Re: Whisky Wall Cabinet

Postby bloonose » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:39 pm

A few pics with osmo finish applied, colours a much better in flesh so to speak :D

Got sample box of product from Rubio to use rather than Osmo, tried one of them, went on very easy, left very matt surface and they say only one application enough to give full protection with full cure in 2 days, then can be washed with soapy water and so on. Can imagine it may be useful for some applications and think the other type which I have not yet tried would be perfect to use on say sycamore if you want it to stay white. The other thing I got was a pre colour for fumed which turned the oak a grey colour, when the finish was applied afterwards was most impressed with how it turned out. It seems to react with the tannin, tried a wee bit on elm but only made it a shade darker. Liquid was clear so not a dye, just a reaction.

A link for you to check out

http://www.rubiomonocoat.com/en

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Nice, some piccys of the sideboard its standing on would be nice....your work also?

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Postby bloonose » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:07 pm

It is indeed, made about 9yrs ago methinks :? 1st time I used Elm, all dovetails were hand cut and burr door panels were bookmatched inside and out along with the top and ends. Push to open drawers and doors.

Been making this

was going to scoop out two seat positions maloof style, but top ended up being too thin :roll: wood was quite warped and difficult to flatten. May have enough Elm left for a wall cabinet of some sorts but have not made any plans as yet...

Next wood to buy will be oak if I can find any nice stuff...

Return to “Projects”