Workshop build

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
Tuffers007

Workshop build

Postby Tuffers007 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:35 pm

New to group and looking for advice.
I have finally convinced the Mrs to let me get a new shed. Having looked online I can see they are either really expensive or really rubbish. So I thought I could build my own. The problem being I don't know how. For example, what type of wood and what size would I use? I'm having some concrete poured this week to level the ground where it will sit but then what?
I can see many a video on YouTube but it would be great to be able to speak to someone.
I'm wanting a 10x16 workshop fully insulated to prevent condensation etc. With a power supply too

promhandicam

Re: Workshop build

Postby promhandicam » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:12 pm

welcome. do a search on here as I am sure that there have been threads in the past with people building their own workshops. my only comment would be that if you haven't got a clue where to start then building a 10 x 16 workshop is quite ambitious. you might be better getting a cheaper shed and upgrading it rather than starting from scratch.

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Postby Tomyjoiner » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:10 pm

Also make sure you check your local council planning guidelined. Height, near boundary etc.

Tuffers007

Postby Tuffers007 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:28 am

Cheers for the replies.
I do have a carpentry qualification but have never worked as a joiner so once I get started I think I would be alright. It's just the knowledge of wood I'm not sure on plus as you mentioned building regs.
Would a steel or metal shed be an idea? They seem cheaper. My worry is condensation. I wouldn't want my tools or wood to get damaged.

Tuffers007

Postby Tuffers007 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:40 am

Are their any apps that can help with the design. I'm not looking for anything fancy just a square box really

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:16 pm

No but, apart from this excellent forum, you will also find a shed load of information over on thewoodhaven2.co.uk
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Tuffers007

Postby Tuffers007 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:36 am

cheers for that. i shall have a look now.
i have decided to go ahead with the project. i shall try to upload photos as i go a long

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:57 am

thatsnotafestool wrote:No but, apart from this excellent forum, you will also find a shed load of information over on thewoodhaven2.co.uk

Thewoodhaven2 is probably the best site in the UK for workshop builds!

Return to “Projects”