Kitchen Island

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
Roger-M
Subscriber

Kitchen Island

Post by Roger-M » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 am

My daughter has spent the last 12 months demolishing a grotty hovel set in a glorious ⅔ acre garden and replacing it with a self build 6 bedroom mock Georgian detached house. She and her husband have been project managing the build, and in a moment of weakness I agreed to build them an island for their enormous new kitchen.

My brief was to build an island around 1850mm long and 1000mm wide, containing pan drawers, an internal spice drawer, a bank of 4 shallow drawers, a kneehole, a wine rack at the end which should be modular so that it can be removed in part at a later date and replaced with an integrated floor standing wine cooler, and with bookshelves either side of the kneehole, and a mixer lift behind doors. It also needed to be symmetrical down each side and across both ends, and the whole thing must be moveable as a single piece - so has to be built on a rigid platform so that the whole thing can be moved on castors!!!! Anything open, like the winerack, kneehole and bookshelves need to be in oak, and all doors, drawer fronts and blanking panels will be painted. It took a lot of thought but I came up with a design which met the brief and was signed off by her ladyship! An added complication was that I would have to build it at home and then move it 185 miles from Devon to Surrey.

All the enclosed carcases were to be built from 18mm Egger W980 ST2 platinum MFC. Any natural wood panels (kneehole, wine rack internals, bookcase internals) had to be in European Oak faced MDF with a European oak frame or lipping. Essentially, this will be a number of kitchen base units, bolted side by side and back to back, so I won’t do a blow by blow WIP. Also, there now seems to be a constraint on loading photos to a maximum of 5 which precludes doing a WIP!

Here is the finished island. Lifting that quartz top into place was epic. It weighs around 200kgs! One side of the island has a mixer behind double doors, double pan drawers with an internal spice drawer, and a basic 300mm cupboard. One end has a double wine rack, and the remaining side has a kneehole in the middle, with a bookcase either side, plus a bank of 4 drawers. I still need to put the covers over the adjustment points on the sides of the drawers. Customer seems happy which is the main thing!
IMG_20190722_124953.jpg
DSCF2156-1.jpg
DSCF2154-1.jpg
DSCF2152-1.jpg
Cheers, Roger

woodsmith
Subscriber

Re: Kitchen Island

Post by woodsmith » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 am

Very nice job, customer should be very happy!
Keith

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Post by rhrwilliams » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:33 pm

What....you didn't maker the kitchen too ! Lol - nice job.

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:20 pm

mmm - that might be someone else here ;) one day they might post up some photos, but they are waiting for the customer to send across a couple when the dec's are finished.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:11 am

looks very nice, very neat and tidy (lot of work!) work there, what a lucky daughter you have.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:42 pm

promhandicam wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:20 pm
mmm - that might be someone else here ;) one day they might post up some photos, but they are waiting for the customer to send across a couple when the dec's are finished.
I did wondered about your comment above Steve but now I know the kitchen maker was in fact you sir and a darn nice kitchen too!