Table restoration & painting (I need help)

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
fraaaaanka

Table restoration & painting (I need help)

Post by fraaaaanka » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi All,
I hope I am able to glean some help and knowledge from this group as I am not a woodworker or painter etc and am about to start renovation of a coffee table which has been sat outside for a couple of years, the end plan is for it to be a table in my lads room painted up with his footy team colours.

I have brought the table inside and pretty much all the wood seems in ok condition apart from 1 leg which had started to rot so I have scraped all the rotton wood out and am trying to decide how to treat it.

Would I just use something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVERBUILD-MU ... SgiirEKAXA
and fill in the hole or should I be treating the wood with something before i fill?

Many thanks
Andy

will1983

Re: Table restoration & painting (I need help)

Post by will1983 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:03 pm

If the timber is rotted than i would suggest either replacing the leg or even the whole table.

If you are determined that you want to fix and use this piece then you need to do the following;
remove as much of the soft rotted material as you can
make sure that it is fully dry
treat the effected areas with Wet Rot Wood Stabilizer.
Finally fill the missing bits by gluing in new timber or if not too serious with 2 part wood filler.

Finally do the usual painting process; prime, sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, top coat (x2)..
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:50 am

The filler you linked to is just that and only suitable for filling small cracks etc. as it has absolutely no structural strength.
Keith

will1983

Post by will1983 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:14 pm

https://www.toolstation.com/everbuild-h ... nYQAvD_BwE

This is the stuff you need if you decide to fill the holes. Mixed and used like the old car body filler (it's probably the same stuff in reality)
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website