Suggestions for circular pond surround?

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
jc2684

Suggestions for circular pond surround?

Post by jc2684 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:41 am

Hello everyone,

Been a while since I've been on this forum, but the advice I received was brilliant.

I'm presently looking for some advice for a landscaping project, specifically a surround for a raised circular pond. I had been planning to get my builder to build the surround (like the rest of the retaining walls etc) from stone, but I've begun to think a hardwood surround could look really nice. It will be approx 1.5m external radius, 1.25m internal radius.

The question is, what would be the best way to make a circular surround out of hardwood? Is it something I should even be considering, or would it be both obscenely difficult and expensive? (I mean, stone surrounds aren't cheap.)

I have in my mind a smooth varnished finish, as opposed to something rustic (made out of sleepers or whatever). The closest example I could find online is this, which looks beautiful (but a fair bit bigger than what I'm considering):

https://assets.learningwithexperts.com/ ... d/1530x862

I can think of 2 ways to go about it:

1. Rout arc-shaped segments from rectangular planks of wood. Pros: probably the best-looking option. Cons: have to find especially wide boards; a lot of wastage.

2. Glue numerous short staves of wood along their length, following the path of a circle (so I'm left with a kind of jagged ring), then rout a smooth ring. Cons: I have no experience joining staves, and in any case I guess there would be problems clamping; longevity of joined wood outdoors (?).

Any thoughts? I'm open to having my dreams shattered.

Jon

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: Suggestions for circular pond surround?

Post by Meccarroll » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:17 am

You might also consider making your own cast sections out of concrete using a mould box and casting a concrete mix in it. You could put a curve on the box so it follows the radius to allow water to be dispersed. The mould box could be used to cast segments which can be later joined to form the circle.

If you make it out of wood you will have to expect some wastage.

jc2684

Post by jc2684 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:24 am

That's a nice idea Meccarroll, would certainly be a smoother/more modern finish than stone, although I had rather taken to the idea of a wooden surround. Just haven't yet worked out how to design it in a way that looks clean and modern without remortgaging. Another style I've been looking at is the slats-with-gaps, like you see on modern benches sometimes, like this

https://www.woodensupplies.co.uk/p/stra ... ted-bench/

but not really sure how that would translate to a circular design, either, as long straight bolts usually seem to be involved.

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:17 am

Long bolts are no problem. Stainless steel studding is readily available in metre or more lengths.
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;