Pelmets

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
codan84

Pelmets

Post by codan84 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:24 pm

Hi everyone. I just started learning about woodworking and thought that a nice little project for start would be pelmets. My wife wants simple straight pelmets above our windows, painted white. I initially thought I will make them out of whitewood, but then maybe plywood or MDF would be better? There's no need for it to be super strong, but edges need to be nice and smooth, especially bottom edge of the front panel. I have heard that plywood is not the nicest for its edges but maybe with a little bit of wood filler to fill potential gaps between sheets and then a good amount of sanding it would still look good after priming/paining? What would be your advice? What thickness of material would you use? I do not have a planer etc (only drill, mitre saw, circular saw and random orbit sander from power tools) and I do not think I want to go into area of jointing multiple whitewood panels together to make it the size I need. Cutting a big sheet of plywood/mdf would be probably much simpler... Thanks for advise :)

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Re: Pelmets

Post by davidpidge » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:10 pm

18mm moisture resistant mdf would probably be your best bet.