Notes on tambour construction

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
sgiandubh
Subscriber

Notes on tambour construction

Postby sgiandubh » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Some weeks ago I posted images of a recently completed cabinet, see below. I've worked up a description of making the tambours for the cabinet at this link. If other visitors to this site have such a task to undertake themselves in the future perhaps some of the techniques and methods I used may be useful.

I apologise for making you click on a link, but as you'll see if you go there, there's quite a lot of information, and it would take me quite some to transfer the text into a message box here along with making sure all the images are properly placed. Slainte.

lynx
Very Regular Poster

Re: Notes on tambour construction

Postby lynx » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:47 am

Richard

I really like this piece and will have a go at making one myself one day. Thank you for sharing the information.
LyNx

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:20 am

Very nice piece.
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:36 am

That looks good Richard. I'd be a bit concerned about the end grain of the slats running on the long grain of the bottom, and across the long grain on the sides, but I'm not sure what I'd do to counteract that. Line the bottom of the slot with UHMW perhaps?

For an alternative approach to getting the slats to run round the corners see my thread here. My tambour, and the cabinet round it, is not nearly as well made as Richard's, but it was intended more as an experiment. Oh, and to annoy Alf :D . Nevertheless it's still going strong.
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

sgiandubh
Subscriber

Postby sgiandubh » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:42 am

nickw wrote: That looks good Richard. I'd be a bit concerned about the end grain of the slats running on the long grain of the bottom, and across the long grain on the sides, but I'm not sure what I'd do to counteract that. Line the bottom of the slot with UHMW perhaps?

That's an interesting point Nick, because in the wear issue is, in part, the reverse of a vertically running tambour where you have the long grain of the tambour staves running on the end grain of the carcass sides in places. It's not quite the same of course because the vast majority of the weight with a horizontally running tambour is at the bottom end of the assembly. I expect there will be wear over time, and I've done nothing special to counter it. In reality I don't expect it to be a problem for many years, hopefully a few decades, by which time it certainly won't be my problem.

nickw wrote:For an alternative approach to getting the slats to run round the corners.

Were you were pointing me to the shellac applied to the groove? I did similar, and waxed them well too, as well as making sure the tongues at the top and the bottom end of the tambour assembly were also well waxed. Slainte.

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi Richard,

No, not the use of shellac, but reducing the along-the-track dimension of the stub-tenons to ease the getting-round-the-corner problem.
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

sgiandubh
Subscriber

Postby sgiandubh » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:26 am

Ah. Right Nick. Got it. That did cross my mind at first when I looked at it, and then for some reason I forgot about it! I don't know why, but I did. Slainte.

Return to “Projects”