Large moulding

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
neilymog

Large moulding

Postby neilymog » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:59 pm

came across this moulding on a couple of roof vents on a Town hall. With only an old Robbys spindle. Whitehills kindly advised that the cut would take three knife shapes without the rebate cut.
The section is 95 x 65 finished and also very high up.
I'm not sure how old this is but is it a job for a multi headed moulder? If it is who would be prepared to cut it?

The mitred joints are rotten so while the scaffold is up it makes sense to rep[lace the lot.

the moulding sits on top of the lead flashing at the base of the louvered vent. Sorry about the pics.

tusses
Subscriber

Re: Large moulding

Postby tusses » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:05 pm

set up with a table saw and a spindle (router table at a push) several passes would get you that.

I'd guess about 25mm is the approx radius on the roundover ? from your finished size

"Norm" would do it in a couple of minutes ! lol :-D

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:17 pm

That looks a nice job is it a bell tower ?

neilymog

Postby neilymog » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:30 pm

rhrwilliams wrote:That looks a nice job is it a bell tower ?

No. Two roof vents above a Carnegie hall ballroom. This is the bell tower.

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:35 pm

If you have a 100mm deep head, I would say two sets of knives and a rebate.

You could try Cutter Profilers.co.uk
I gave them a order, they made the cutters and had them in the post within 24 hour's, and they were very competitive.

Jonathan.

neilymog

Postby neilymog » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:50 pm

Jonathan wrote:If you have a 100mm deep head, I would say two sets of knives and a rebate.

You could try Cutter Profilers.co.uk
I gave them a order, they made the cutters and had them in the post within 24 hour's, and they were very competitive.

Jonathan.

Thanks. 55mm profile blocks are all we have. I was just intrigued to see if anyone out there would be prepared to machine a small quantity.

anyway, here's a view of the Irish sea from the mouldings' point of view.

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:25 pm

That's a serious unit of a building !

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:05 pm

There are blocks that handle that type of moulding but if you have already spoken to Whitehill then i guess they wont do it . I have a 100mm block but i dont like it ! Last time i used it Colin C ran out of the work shop and i hid behind the router table with a broom stick to hit the off button !
If you want to send me a few samples i can have a look at the options . The legacy might do it if its a very small amount .

neilymog

Postby neilymog » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:55 pm

jfc wrote:There are blocks that handle that type of moulding but if you have already spoken to Whitehill then i guess they wont do it . I have a 100mm block but i dont like it ! Last time i used it Colin C ran out of the work shop and i hid behind the router table with a broom stick to hit the off button !
If you want to send me a few samples i can have a look at the options . The legacy might do it if its a very small amount .

Thanks. We had some tenon blocks like that. Sounded like a jumbo jet taking off. We got rid of them sensibly. Still, some brave person is using them somewhere.

I'm not sure even the Whitehill option of three sets of knives is viable for such a small amount. Especially as it's for the local council.

The men from CADW (that's the Welsh listed building police) are considering a glue up covered with a bossed lead detail welded at the mitre joints.

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:33 am

It's not exactly conservation friendly (even though they advertise it as such !) but you could use resin on the corners to build them back .

Personally I don't like the resin stuff but it will go back and mean you can use the original timber and get the original profile with minimal hassle .

Also linseed paint (or even lead paint you can get if it's grade II* or I) will make it last far longer than oil paints or WB paints as it tends not to rot the wood .

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:35 am

Lead will be difficult because you will either have to chase out a hole in the timber to start it from , or stick it on - neither of which will work very well

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:38 pm

How much a small quantity? What timescale?

Thanks, Dylan.

neilymog

Postby neilymog » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:31 pm

siafins wrote:How much a small quantity? What timescale?

Thanks, Dylan.

5 metres would do the job. Timescale isn't an issue anymore because a repair has been done. Just out of interest would this be something you could do? I can see the scaffold being put up again in a year or so once the water finds it's way back in.

cheers

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:36 pm

I can see the price doesn't matter . and the scaffold will be WAAAYYY more ! lol

podengo
Occasional Poster

Postby podengo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:00 pm

If price doesnt matter ask Timbmet or Brooks Bros to do it.

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:11 am

neilymog wrote:
siafins wrote:How much a small quantity? What timescale?

Thanks, Dylan.

5 metres would do the job. Timescale isn't an issue anymore because a repair has been done. Just out of interest would this be something you could do? I can see the scaffold being put up again in a year or so once the water finds it's way back in.

cheers
Yes, would get that machined for you.

Return to “Projects”