Loft Access Advice Please

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
Centurian

Loft Access Advice Please

Post by Centurian » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:36 am

I'm looking for a way to install a better laddered access to the loft in the picture. Currently I have to stand on a chair to lift the loft hatch out the way so that I can then pull the loft ladder down. This is cumbersome. The simple solution would be to hinge the hatch but, due to the positon of the light I can't do this as there would be too little clearance between the hatch (when it was down) and the light. The hatch can't hinge away from the light as when going up the ladder you'd hit the light and hinging at the sides makes the entrance too narrow. The light can't be moved for a variety of reasons unfortunately. Grateful if anyone has any ideas please? Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0318.JPG

tusses
Subscriber

Re: Loft Access Advice Please

Post by tusses » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:30 am

can it hinge upwards ?
I arranged one of mine like that once, and the ladders I hinged too, so they could be pushed back out of the way when not in use.

or as simple as a different light fitting ?

Doug
Subscriber

Post by Doug » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:41 pm

You might get away with something like a fakro loft ladder, scroll down this page http://www.fakro.co.uk/loft_ladders/ as the lid is fixed to the ladder it doesn't go down to 90 degrees so should miss the light fitting, thought you might want to temporarily remove the light fitting when installing the ladder.

Last one I bought was £100 which for a complete unit I thought was a bargain.

Centurian

Post by Centurian » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Sorry for late reply - thanks for the advice - I've checked out the site and will contact the company.