Oak refectory table

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
sgiandubh
Subscriber

Oak refectory table

Post by sgiandubh » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:44 pm

Having just started new thread with news about a book I've written, here's something about a project that's a bit more normal for here, i.e., a recent build of an American oak refectory table with a pedestal leg. Dimensions are 2550 mm L X 1100 mm W X ~750 mm H. It's not my design and my role was to simply manufacture it on a freelance charged labour basis for a furniture business in their workshop, which is near where I live.

I took quite a few photographs as I made the piece and turned them into a 'photo essay' here at my website for anyone that wishes to compare techniques with those they might choose to use in a similar job. Slainte.

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Re: Oak refectory table

Post by rhrwilliams » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:02 am

Thanks for posting that - very interesting to see the steps you went through to make it.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:51 am

Yes, thanks for posting, very interesting to see your construction methods for a table like this.
Keith

Rogerdodge
Subscriber

Post by Rogerdodge » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:13 am

Very instructive, thank you.

will1983

Post by will1983 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Sorry, I don't really understand the purpose of the lag bolts.

To clarify, do these run horizontally through the breadboard ends and into the ends of the main long side members of the table top? If so why are they needed if the mortises have been dowelled? Also would they not interfere with the movement required for seasonal movement?

Thanks Will
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website

sgiandubh
Subscriber

Post by sgiandubh » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:15 pm

will1983 wrote:Sorry, I don't really understand the purpose of the lag bolts.
To clarify, do these run horizontally through the breadboard ends and into the ends of the main long side members of the table top? If so why are they needed if the mortises have been dowelled? Also would they not interfere with the movement required for seasonal movement? Thanks Will
Yes, the coach screws (not lag bolts) pass through the width of the end clamps and into the long grain of the main panel and thread into the large dowel. The holes in the clamps are very sloppy and the head sits on a large washer recessed in an oversized hole to allow for movement. As to why when there's also a dowel passing through an extended slot in the tenon: belt and braces basically because I wasn't convinced the dowel would pull the joint line as tight as I'd like.

I'm not a great fan of end clamps. They're a fiddly way to attempt to restrict cupping compared to much simpler and quicker methods, and they usually end up with a bit of a dirt trapping gap somewhere along the abutting edges at some point in the future, sometimes in the quite near future, and at others much later. Slainte.

will1983

Post by will1983 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:32 am

Ah I understand now. Thank you for your explanation Richard.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website

sgiandubh
Subscriber

Post by sgiandubh » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:46 pm

I meant to say before, but I appreciate the feedback on the usefulness, or just interest, you found of illustrated manufacturing stages from rhr, Roger and Keith. Thanks. Slainte.

sgiandubh
Subscriber

Post by sgiandubh » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:47 pm

will1983 wrote:Ah I understand now. Thank you for your explanation Richard.
My pleasure. Slainte.