Kitchen Alcove (WIP)

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
jonnyd
Subscriber

Kitchen Alcove (WIP)

Post by jonnyd » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 pm

I thought I would post some pictures of a fitted alcove i am working on.

Started off by making the beaded face frames for the cabinet. The alcove is going to fitted out like a dresser with a painted bottom section and an oak top section which is set back from the bottom. I started with the bottom face frame which is made from tulipwood.

The joints were cut on the router table using a 1/2 inch 45 degree cutter.

End joints

Mid rail joints

45 degree cuts on rails made on panel saw

Frame showing joints before being moulded

The frame is then moulded and then the favorite powertool comes out

Frame dry fitted

And close up of the joint

The frame is nowready to be glued up so i moved onto the top carcase.

The shape of the top carcase is not straightforward so it is all set out on a full size rod and the joints cut. The frame is also beaded and I had to break out the handtools out to do the top angled joints.

Will update when I have made some more progress

Jon
For the latest from the workshop follow on twitter @JonnysWorkshop
Pics from the workshop on Instagram @jonnydburn

sainty
Subscriber

Re: Kitchen Alcove (WIP)

Post by sainty » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Hey Jonny

That looks like a neat way if doing a frame - is that as much of a pig to set up the router bit as I'm imagining that it is? I gues not if that't the way you do it. Have you got any tricks?

How do you get the depth in the stile for the mid rail when you use the domino? Do you just extend the depth and reference from the face of the stile?

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi its fairly straightforward setting up the router. I just set the height to a smidge over the height of the moulding and have a long fence on the sliding table and a few stops a couple of trial cuts and your good to go. If you mark some vertical lines on the fence that correspond to the bottom of the cutter you can almost do it freehand. If i am doing a full kitchen i actually do them on the tenoner and only use the router for mid rail joints.

I just extend the depth of cut on the domino to cut the stile joints.

Jon

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Had a few hours in the workshop Today so i started to make the bottom carcase. Its Made from 19mm Oak Veneered MDF and jointed with Dominos.

I then used the domino again to fix the face frame onto the carcase.

I usually leave the top of the face frame a little proud

And then use another favorite tool to plane it flush

I then planed up some timber for the doors

seen here planing a face edge

and the stock ready for tenoning and grooving

I cut the tenons on the single end tenoner

The grooves are done on the spindle moulder with an adjustable grooving cutter. The panel is 9mm mdf so I used some calipers to set the adjustable groover to 0.1mm more

The groover is set up in the spindle with a zero clearance false fence

And then the pieces feed through

The tenon just fits into the groove so it is a quick and accurate way to make a door

I just about had enough time left to cut up the oak veneered sheet on the panel saw. Because the pieces are quite narrow i set up a stop on the sliding table to keep everything parallel

Will keep you updated

Jon

engineerone
Incredibly Regular Poster

Post by engineerone » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:13 pm

johnny looks very good, but in my reading i got the impression that you build the face frame after making the unit, to ensure that you cover it better and more effectively. so i wonder why you do it this way round. not complaining just interested as to why you do it kind of backwards. :?

paul ;)

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi Paul

I decided to make the face frames first as the top carcase is a tricky shape and i thought it would be easier this way round. I sometimes make all the carcases first it just depends how I feel. I usually use the lamello tool to trim the face frame so getting a spot on perfect fit is not absolutely essential.

Jon

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:26 pm

It doesnt seem anyone is interested in this but I will post the following update anyway :D

I have been busy doing some other projects but managed to grab a few hours today to work on the alcove.

I finished jointing the carcase for the top. Nothing to fancy here just a few dominos and pocket screws as it is all hidden after installation

I then cut out the back taking the dimensions from the rod which is on the hardboard sheets on the bench. The back is made from 6mm veneered mdf and as the cabinet is about 1500mm wide it needed 2 sheets. I managed to match the grain pretty well. I asked for consecutive veneered sheets when I ordered them as it is easier to match up the grain.

The back was then screwed onto the back of the carcase. Doing it this way ensures the carcase is the same size as the rod and template.

The oak face frame is dominoed onto the carcase

The 2 carcases together

Detail of the top

I have just got to hang the doors and joint up the boards for the solid oak top and then sand and finish.

will keep you posted.

Jon

lynx
Very Regular Poster

Post by lynx » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:04 pm

looking good
LyNx

engineerone

Post by engineerone » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:20 pm

looks good and very clean jon, well done.
be interesting to see it in situ.

paul ;)

paulchapman
Subscriber

Post by paulchapman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:47 pm

jonnyd wrote:It doesnt seem anyone is interested in this but I will post the following update anyway :D
We are - honest ;)

Looking great.

Cheers ;)

Paul

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:34 am

That looks a nice job Jonny - interesting to see how someone else makes these sorts of things.

I notice you use the domino a lot - is it really that much of an improvement for things like making up the carcase and fixing the face frames over a biscuit jointer? I've got a mafell biscuit jointer which I'm happy with as it is quick and accurate and I can't really see the advantage of a domino other then for fixing narrow pieces. I have to admit to not having actually seen a domino in the flesh so can only go on images but it seems to function in more or less the same way as a biscuit jointer.

Cheers,

Steve

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:21 am

promhandicam wrote:That looks a nice job Jonny - interesting to see how someone else makes these sorts of things.

I notice you use the domino a lot - is it really that much of an improvement for things like making up the carcase and fixing the face frames over a biscuit jointer? I've got a mafell biscuit jointer which I'm happy with as it is quick and accurate and I can't really see the advantage of a domino other then for fixing narrow pieces. I have to admit to not having actually seen a domino in the flesh so can only go on images but it seems to function in more or less the same way as a biscuit jointer.

Cheers,

Steve
I would say its a big improvement over the biscuit jointer. I also have a mafell jointer and have used it twice in the last 2 1/2 years, once when i had run out of dominos and once when cutting of some skirting board when doing some flooring.

The main advantage is as you have said fixing narrow components and also the ability to reference of a set of retractable pins to guarantee perfect alignment of components. The other advantage is that the joint is stronger (although this is debatable). It is well built and seems to me more accurate and intuitive to use than the biscuit jointer. I dont mean to slag off the biscuit jointer as its a very good tool but the domino jointer just does things a little better.

Jon

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:27 am

Jonny I've been very interested in seeing how you go about this, but it's that bloody domino

I must resist, I must resist

:D
Keith

Blinker
Occasional Poster

Post by Blinker » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:02 pm

John

Could you tell me how those safety 'fingers' are attached to the table of the planer please? If they are magnetic, must a bloomin' strong magnet.
If it's suction, your table must be dead flat.
:?:
Ta mate.

Blinker
I'm too old to cry and it hurts too much to laugh.

daves
Occasional Poster

Post by daves » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:33 pm

jonnyd wrote:It doesnt seem anyone is interested in this but I will post the following update anyway :D
Jon
Been avidly following this thread, even though I haven't commented so far. I for one am finding it very interesting.

Been following Dan's WIP threads elsewhere too and find them very illuminating. You all make it look so easy! :) I've certainly learnt quite a lot which will no doubt help me avoid some of my previous mistakes next time I do a project like this.

Your comparison of the Domino and biscuits is interesting too, and seems to echo Dan's response to my similar question. It certainly seems to be a great tool and I can see the advantage to someone like yourself. As a hobby woodworker on limited budget it is a lot of money. I think I'll be sticking with biscuits, or loose tenons cut with the router :)

cheers
Dave

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:27 pm

Blinker wrote:John

Could you tell me how those safety 'fingers' are attached to the table of the planer please? If they are magnetic, must a bloomin' strong magnet.
If it's suction, your table must be dead flat.
:?:
Ta mate.

Blinker
Hi Blinker

The featherboard is attached by rare earth magnets and it holds pretty darn well. There are two knobs (not brass :D ) that work on cams to apply and release the magnets. It certainly helps to keep things dead on square as you only have to concentrate on pushing the stock through as the featherboard keeps the stock firmly against the fence.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psPro ... i/MAG10327" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jon

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:34 pm

daves wrote:
Jon
Been avidly following this thread, even though I haven't commented so far. I for one am finding it very interesting.

Been following Dan's WIP threads elsewhere too and find them very illuminating. You all make it look so easy! :) I've certainly learnt quite a lot which will no doubt help me avoid some of my previous mistakes next time I do a project like this.

Your comparison of the Domino and biscuits is interesting too, and seems to echo Dan's response to my similar question. It certainly seems to be a great tool and I can see the advantage to someone like yourself. As a hobby woodworker on limited budget it is a lot of money. I think I'll be sticking with biscuits, or loose tenons cut with the router :)

cheers
Dave
I agree its a lot of money for a hobby woodworker. You could probably get a half decent table saw or planer thicknesser for the price of the domino. You can easily get the same results with biscuits and loose tenons but the domino just allows you to do it that bit quicker and as they say time is money in a commercial shop.

Jon

gazza
Subscriber

Post by gazza » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:00 am

Great work Jon,
Havnt been on for a while, so just noticed the post.
The way you have jointed the face frames is very neat ( noted for future use ;) )
Any more pics mate ?
Cheers,
gazza.

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:42 pm

gazza wrote:Great work Jon,
Havnt been on for a while, so just noticed the post.
The way you have jointed the face frames is very neat ( noted for future use ;) )
Any more pics mate ?
Cheers,
gazza.
Have you been too busy playing with those new toys of yours? :lol:

This project has been put on hold while I finish of a utility room which has to be fitted before easter. Should be back on it soon with some more pics ;)

gazza
Subscriber

Post by gazza » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:03 pm

jonnyd wrote: Have you been too busy playing with those new toys of yours? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Got it in 1 Jon

Ive been like a big kid :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
gazza.

Look foward to the pics.

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:08 pm

Other Jobs have put this project on the back burner but I managed to grab a few hours yesterday on it.

First job was to hang the doors using satin chrome finish butt hinges. The hinges are double cut into the door so that the beaded edge on the frame doesnt need cutting into leaving a neater finish.

The door is set back slightly. I usually make a 30mm thick face frame and 26mm thick doors which allows for a thicker panel and a sturdier door

With Tulipwood doors I usually hang the doors with a fairly small gap all around as I have found once installed in a centrally heated house the wood never swells and more than likely will shrink a little bit.

I have just been laying out the shelf positions using some masking tape to see how it looks

will keep you posted

Jon

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:06 pm

Really nice job, I like the way you have rounded over the hinge rebate.

Interesting with the hinges though, I make the bead the same diameter as the hinge then fit them in line with the bead.
Keith

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:37 am

Hi Keith I have found if you dont round over the rebate a bit there is a chance of the hinges binding a little and I also do it because I think it looks better. I like your idea about fitting the hinge in line with the bead i will have a little experiment with that myself.

Jon

nickw
Subscriber

Post by nickw » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:10 am

Kind of like this;
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi Nick the picture is a little small. I presume the bead is on the door and the hinge has been double cut in. Its a little hard to tell from the picture.

Jon

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:09 pm

Done a bit more today.

I planed up the timber for the solid top which is 1 1/4 inch American White Oak finished at 26mm. Jointed with the Domino and Glued up with UF Resin Glue.

And in Clamps

The solid top of the unit is going to flow into some new window boards which I will also be fitting. I need 26mm finished but the wide 10inch boards that I ordered in were badly cupped so I had to rip them down the middle and rejoin them to get the finished thickness.

Will Keep you Posted

Jon

nickw
Subscriber

Post by nickw » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:41 pm

Is this any better?

The bead was IIRC moulded separately and planted on so there's no cutting in required. I can't remember whether the beads were attached to the frame or the door/lid, but it makes little difference.

Overview:
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:38 pm

Thanks Nick thats a lot clearer now.

Jon

modernist
Subscriber

Post by modernist » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:10 pm

nickw wrote:Is this any better?
Yes - very neat indeed
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gazza
Subscriber

Post by gazza » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi Jon,
Crackin WIP mate 8-)
Some very handy tips and tricks to be gleaned from your work ;)
Thanks for taking the time to share with us, as im sure im not the only one who has gained some valuable methods from this.
Cheers,
gazza.

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:53 pm

Cheers Gazza ;)

Jon

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Fri May 01, 2009 8:27 pm

I have been fitting the alcove unit today.

This is the space the unit is going in

Had to do the usual stuff scribing to uneven walls and floors etc but in the end it fitted fine.

The almost finished unit

There is a few bits and pieces to finish off bits of trim handles etc and I will post some pictures when finished taken with the digital SLR

Although this post has been going a while I have been doing this inbetween other jobs. It has taken about 7 days in the workshop to make and a day to fit.

Jon

engineerone

Post by engineerone » Fri May 01, 2009 9:01 pm

really neat, be nice to see it when the paintwork is touched up on the walls. but certainly worth the wip's

thanks

paul ;)

paulchapman
Subscriber

Post by paulchapman » Fri May 01, 2009 9:19 pm

That looks excellent, Jon.

Cheers ;)

Paul

daves
Occasional Poster

Post by daves » Fri May 01, 2009 9:23 pm

Looks very nice, and some excellent WIP pictures. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Curious about one thing - how do you go about scribing the top unit to fit the alcove when you have fitted the face frame before going to site? I've used the double-row of biscuits method that Tim (he who emigrated to Canada) recommended, but that requires the scribing to be done before fixing the frame to the carcase.

cheers
Dave

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Fri May 01, 2009 9:47 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

Dave to scribe the face frame I set the base carcase level and fitted the solid top. I then took the hardboard template that had been used as the rod and scribed this to the walls. Battens are screwed on to make it rigid. Once this is a good fit it is placed on top of the top carcase drawn around and the oak frame scribed with a power plane and finished of with a hand plane to the line.

Jon

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Sat May 02, 2009 9:46 am

neat job !

and loads of cool idea's and tricks have come out of this thread - thanks for posting :)

cncpaul
Subscriber

Post by cncpaul » Sat May 02, 2009 1:31 pm

Jon,

Lovely neat job, with a great WIP.

What finish did you use on the base cabinets and did you fix the shelves or adjustable pins ?
Paul

If you only have a hammer then everything looks like a nail

jonnyd
Subscriber

Post by jonnyd » Sat May 02, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi Paul the finish on the bottom cabinet is dulux trade eggshell to match with the kitchen in almond white. The oak top piece is finished with fiddes hardwax oil so that it matches the oak worktops in the kitchen.

The shelves in the top carcase are fixed with adjustable pins but there isnt a series of holes up the carcase it is only drilled out for the shelves in there current position.

Jon

jake
Subscriber

Post by jake » Sat May 02, 2009 9:12 pm

Plenty of stuff stowed away upstairs for later here as well. Thanks for posting the WIP.