Cat flap

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
jake
Subscriber

Cat flap

Postby jake » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:55 pm

I was telling Jase about this last night.

I had a door being planned in my head for the entrance to the kitchen/diner. It has to be glazed (I am instructed) so gunstock stiles, and margin glazing bars (I think that's the right terminology).

I dropped off my kid at a party yesterday, and as it is minutes away from a reclaim yard I went and had a mosey. Idly checked the doors, and there was exactly my door. But an inch too wide I thought, but actually it's only half an inch so all is well. For £80, I couldn't resist as although making it would be more interesting than renovating this one, it would take longer.

Anyway, it's a good lesson in how to fit a cat-flap to a really nice door.

jonnyd
Subscriber

Re: Cat flap

Postby jonnyd » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:20 pm

Save some time and get a cat :D

Looks like a nice door

cheers

Jon
For the latest from the workshop follow on twitter @JonnysWorkshop
Pics from the workshop on Instagram @jonnydburn

Mr Ed
Subscriber

Postby Mr Ed » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:28 pm

I like the coloured glass, should all clean up nicely

Ed

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:27 pm

A very nice example, lovely proportions and glass. You have to wonder at the mentality of the cat owner. Clearly not a woodworker. Are you going to dismantle it or try to sort it as is?
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:40 pm

I'm going to try to keep it together if I can, but if it needs to come apart, so be it. The bottom rail is the obvious surgery, but the mid-rail has also been twatted by someone fitting a really tall sash lock.

One of my fave bits is the skinny lambs-tongue glazing bars.

The deep bead on the hinge side I have not seen before on a door (not that my experience is particularly meaningful). On the reverse side, it is bevelled off to the depth of the bead. The stiles are unequal width (by the depth of the bead, obviously). All for a bit more strength on the hinge side, I assume.

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:58 pm

jake wrote:I'm going to try to keep it together if I can, but if it needs to come apart, so be it. The bottom rail is the obvious surgery, but the mid-rail has also been twatted by someone fitting a really tall sash lock.

One of my fave bits is the skinny lambs-tongue glazing bars.

The deep bead on the hinge side I have not seen before on a door (not that my experience is particularly meaningful). On the reverse side, it is bevelled off to the depth of the bead. The stiles are unequal width (by the depth of the bead, obviously). All for a bit more strength on the hinge side, I assume.

It's difficult to see clearly but maybe the original hinges were the same width as the bead on the pivot side, so hiding the hinge and bevelled on the non-hinge visible side to make the stiles look even. Jacob would know.

I love gunstock doors, especially with fine glass like that. I think it is the top of the door maker's art when the proportions are right. As I've said before my favourite is the Scottish version with very low middle rail and rounded corners around the glazing (still can't find the pic) used often in Victorian Gothic stuff.
Cheers

Brian

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:19 pm

modernist wrote:
jake wrote:The deep bead on the hinge side I have not seen before on a door (not that my experience is particularly meaningful). On the reverse side, it is bevelled off to the depth of the bead. The stiles are unequal width (by the depth of the bead, obviously). All for a bit more strength on the hinge side, I assume.

It's difficult to see clearly but maybe the original hinges were the same width as the bead on the pivot side, so hiding the hinge and bevelled on the non-hinge visible side to make the stiles look even. Jacob would know.

Oh definitely so, the original hinge recesses are about as deep as the bead (see the catflap picture). So that's part of it, but I assumed there was more reason to it than just the decorative nicety of having a bead match the hinge knuckles.

The bevel is cunning. I knew the bead trick of evening up french door stiles, etc, but the bevel works better than I would have thought if it had been described to me.

mrgrimsdale
Incredibly Regular Poster

Postby mrgrimsdale » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:25 pm

jake wrote:I'm going to try to keep it together if I can, but if it needs to come apart, so be it. ......
Almost impossible without breaking the glass, unless you can chip the putty away very slowly like a dentist (I'd ask a dentist to do it!).

mrgrimsdale

Postby mrgrimsdale » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:37 pm

jake wrote:....
Could be a matching bead has been taken off the opp side?
Hinges often set in invisibly to a bead same shape as hinge knuckle, but on furniture more often.

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:51 pm

mrgrimsdale wrote:
jake wrote:....
Could be a matching bead has been taken off the opp side?
Hinges often set in invisibly to a bead same shape as hinge knuckle, but on furniture more often.

Possibly, I'll nose around for clues.

And yes, obviously I know why it is beaded, not that I have seen it on a (doorway) door before.

mrgrimsdale

Postby mrgrimsdale » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:20 am

jake wrote:.... not that I have seen it on a (doorway) door before.
Nor me as far as I remember. But it's a posh door probably from a public building (shop?) where little flourishes of added value are the thing.

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:43 am

mrgrimsdale wrote:
jake wrote:I'm going to try to keep it together if I can, but if it needs to come apart, so be it. ......
Almost impossible without breaking the glass, unless you can chip the putty away very slowly like a dentist (I'd ask a dentist to do it!).

Unless you cough up for a putty lamp. Though they can be hired.
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:57 pm

Nick, you beat me to the putty lamp but I can suggest a much much cheaper rental from Mears Architects...very helpful folk. And they are in London.

It takes only a couple of minutes, if that, to soften up the putty. Using one is a no-brainer.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

houtslager
Subscriber

Postby houtslager » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:57 pm

OUTTA CURIOSITY whar light does yje lamp us ; uva , uv b , or infra red ?

k
You name it, I'll butcher it.

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:41 pm

houtslager wrote:OUTTA CURIOSITY whar light does yje lamp us ; uva , uv b , or infra red ?

k

hey Houts' ... I think your keyboard is busted !

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:36 pm

houtslager wrote:OUTTA CURIOSITY whar light does yje lamp us ; uva , uv b , or infra red ?

k

Infra-red but of a certain wavelength that goes straight through the glass. All the stuff is in the link I gave on another thread where some of them got arsey. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7498
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 pm

A cheap shot would be me thinking you are a bit of a d*ck, and then putting it on the forum, but I didn't, I just think it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:38 pm

I'm gonna eat your fish :lol:
Friedrich Nietzsche

mattty
Subscriber

Postby mattty » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:42 am

thatsnotafestool wrote:I'm gonna eat your fish :lol:

Is that a euphemism?
Cheers, Matt.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:16 am

mattty wrote:
thatsnotafestool wrote:I'm gonna eat your fish :lol:

Is that a euphemism?

No..maybe some sole searching

or keeping Jas in his plaice

but then it might simply be codswallop! :D
Friedrich Nietzsche

mattty
Subscriber

Postby mattty » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:35 pm

Get back on your Perch Rog
Cheers, Matt.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:23 pm

mattty wrote:Get back on your Perch Rog

:D
Friedrich Nietzsche

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:45 pm

So, turned back to this after a long diversion on doing up a bathroom and toilet. Most of the hard work was done ages OK, and it is now de-catflapped and has about half a new stile on one side - the wood was totally shot, dipped probably. I routed off the crap and grafted some ceiling wood tm on with epoxy to replace it. Sacrilege probably but it's going to be painted so oh well.

I wanted to replace the (badly done) putty with mouldings given it is going to be an internal door in its new life. I lost most of the margin glass - some was already cracked, there were only about two which looked original in fact. The starbursts were OK, so I got the putty off with a hot air gun - heat for a few seconds, shielding the glass with a scraper.

Put the gun down, then scrape off the softened putty. Turn around to pick up gun, repeat. Turn around to pick up gun, oh f**k and b*ll*cks:

Some more sacrilege with panel pins and two-part filler followed. For shame.

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:23 pm

So anyway, a bit of tweaking needed to the hanging and some of the leading edge will need to be shaved to get it to close, but it is up and ready for painting. I hate painting.

noel
Occasional Poster

Postby noel » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Looking well and nice collection of cooky books. How old do you reckon the actual door is?

No disrespect but that other door may need some attention.

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:18 pm

noel wrote:Looking well and nice collection of cooky books. How old do you reckon the actual door is?

Victorian I think, probably late-ish, but I'm no expert.

No disrespect but that other door may need some attention.

Hah. Yes. The poor old cellar door. It's on the list. My house has a few contrasts like that (all over the place). All it really needs some mouldings, a lick of paint, and some door furniture but if you start painting that then all the whole staircase surround it is set in starts needing a coat of paint too, and then the balusters of the staircase itself too, which is about where I give up the will to think about it...

billybuntus

Postby billybuntus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:59 pm

I was just about to say be careful with those brilliant cut stars as they are around £30 a piece (new) at the moment.

But looks like your doing a great job :-)

mattty
Subscriber

Postby mattty » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:14 pm

Nice one Jake. I love the hot air gun story. We need a confessions board on the forum.
Cheers, Matt.

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:47 pm

I like the look of that door Jake and the glass is nice.
Cheers

Brian

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks for comments all, and yes replacement glass was not cheap. Even the clear stuff, but then it has nice bumps and wibble-wobbles in it and a bubble or two.

Return to “Projects”