Painted MDF cabinets

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
Pinch
Regular Poster

Painted MDF cabinets

Postby Pinch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:49 pm

:D

Just thought I'd share these little beauties :D

Finished them today and delivering tomorrow.

mattty
Subscriber

Re: Painted MDF cabinets

Postby mattty » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:11 pm

Nice job pinch. You need to set the hinges in a little deeper on the window seat though.

Hows progress going on the huge big foot job?
Cheers, Matt.

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:32 pm

mattty wrote:Nice job pinch. You need to set the hinges in a little deeper on the window seat though.

Cheers Matty. The client has made a large cushion to sit on top of the window seat, so there was no need feel concerned about the hinge knuckle projecting above the surface.

Yeah, the tiger oak cabinet... I've been so busy, I haven't done anything to it for ages, but it stares at me everyday in the shop and I will be back on it very soon. Time is a flyer!! Scary. The Institute of Carpenters have recently published a small article about it in their magazine 'Cutting Edge' which I was thrilled about. They want to keep tabs on progress so they can publish future WIP articles, so I must get back to it asap.

mattty
Subscriber

Postby mattty » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Pinch wrote:
mattty wrote:Nice job pinch. You need to set the hinges in a little deeper on the window seat though.

Cheers Matty. The client has made a large cushion to sit on top of the window seat, so there was no need feel concerned about the hinge knuckle projecting above the surface.

Yeah, the tiger oak cabinet... I've been so busy, I haven't done anything to it for ages, but it stares at me everyday in the shop and I will be back on it very soon. Time is a flyer!! Scary. The Institute of Carpenters have recently published a small article about it in their magazine 'Cutting Edge' which I was thrilled about. They want to keep tabs on progress so they can publish future WIP articles, so I must get back to it asap.

Thats good news- Another published member! There is only me and Bob left who aren't published (Though there is a rumour he's in midget man love this month)
Make sure you keep us updated on Big foot- It looks like a really interesting project.
Cheers, Matt.

Mr Ed
Subscriber

Postby Mr Ed » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Nice work and no fitting to do either by the looks of it

ftacarpentry
Subscriber

Postby ftacarpentry » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 pm

Very neat! Is the published article an up-and-coming one or something in a past issue? I don't recall having been sent one for ages! Either way, looking forward to hearing/seeing more.

Cheers,

Pete

stevep
Subscriber

Postby stevep » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:58 pm

Very smart. Just finishing some painted mdf myself, unfortunately the clients are Farrow and Ball fans and this is the second job I've done for them. Painting takes long enough at the best of times, but F and B takes forever to harden sufficiently to handle.

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:01 pm

stevep wrote:Very smart. Just finishing some painted mdf myself, unfortunately the clients are Farrow and Ball fans and this is the second job I've done for them. Painting takes long enough at the best of times, but F and B takes forever to harden sufficiently to handle.

Johnstones will mix paint to F&B colours, although they may notice the difference as the Johnstones paint will come out with a better finish. :lol:

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Interesting you should say that Steve. Following my sticky Dulux thing I phoned their tech help line and they said that Diamond Eggshell takes 7-14 days to harden! So now, having stripped that manky Dulux off I'm refinishing using my trusted Sayerlack which my suppliers have tinted for me to a perfect match to Dulux Green Earth.

The trouble I now have is that the customer is telling me that's not the right colour, despite having given me the name, and me telling her it's not the right colour, be she insisting that it is - until she saw it. So now I've got 2 pots of Green Earth paint which are of no use to me, and I've got to get a match made to her already-painted-by-someone-else skirting boards. HTF do I do that without removing her skirting?

Oh, and I've got to get the paint in, on and installed by the end of next week 'cos she's having her floors sanded the week after. I wonder how the floor sanders are going to avoid damaging her nice new skirting paint. :roll:
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:31 pm

nickw wrote:Interesting you should say that Steve. Following my sticky Dulux thing I phoned their tech help line and they said that Diamond Eggshell takes 7-14 days to harden! So now, having stripped that manky Dulux off I'm refinishing using my trusted Sayerlack which my suppliers have tinted for me to a perfect match to Dulux Green Earth.

The trouble I now have is that the customer is telling me that's not the right colour, despite having given me the name, and me telling her it's not the right colour, be she insisting that it is - until she saw it. So now I've got 2 pots of Green Earth paint which are of no use to me, and I've got to get a match made to her already-painted-by-someone-else skirting boards. HTF do I do that without removing her skirting?

Oh, and I've got to get the paint in, on and installed by the end of next week 'cos she's having her floors sanded the week after. I wonder how the floor sanders are going to avoid damaging her nice new skirting paint. :roll:

Dulux do a test card with a hole in the middle that you place over the sample and photograph. The test piece is then corrected by comparison with the standard colours on the card and the paint duly mixed - very clever.
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Yeah, but I'm never using Dulux paint again.
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 pm

I've just used their clear matt varnish on cherry and it is the mattest of the matt. V good.
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

senior
Subscriber

Postby senior » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:52 pm

mattty wrote:There is only me and Bob left who aren't published

Rubbish, I have had been published in VIZ......

"Never mind ventriloquists like Keith Harris and Roger DeCourcey. What about Professor Stephen Hawking? I saw him on telly blathering on about galaxies for hours and I never saw his lips move once. Genius!"
yours sincerely
Bob Armstrong
Have a look at my facebook page and leave a comment or two.
Or browse my website Hand made kitchens Essex

mattty
Subscriber

Postby mattty » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:42 am

senior wrote:
mattty wrote:There is only me and Bob left who aren't published

Rubbish, I have had been published in VIZ......

"Never mind ventriloquists like Keith Harris and Roger DeCourcey. What about Professor Stephen Hawking? I saw him on telly blathering on about galaxies for hours and I never saw his lips move once. Genius!"
yours sincerely
Bob Armstrong

Thats funny! lol
Cheers, Matt.

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Matt: Yep, I'll post an update as soon as 8-)

Mr Ed: Cheers. Delivered yesterday and the lady has commissioned another small project :D

Pete: Cheers. The first article was published in the January issue and the next one will be sometime this year or when I've made more progress on the project. I expect Sharon at head office will be able to rectify why you haven't received any issues recently.

Stevep: Cheers. F&B can be a pain to work with although the results are great.

Guys guys guys... Farrow & Ball, Johnstones, Dulux etc... Expensive and time consuming. The above work was painted with Homebase 'Soothing White' silk emulsion and as you can see, the result is pretty good. I primed the raw MDF first and then watered down the silk emulsion (even Homebase emulsion is like syrup) and applied six coats - denibbing in between each coat. Each coat was also dry within one-to-two hours - winter time. Having said that, I know some clients insist on F&B or similar (maybe it's a hint of snobbery), but it's so expensive in comparison (150% in some cases) and the end result between F&B and a home brand isn't really that much different.

cncpaul
Subscriber

Postby cncpaul » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:34 pm

Pinch wrote:
Guys guys guys... Farrow & Ball, Johnstones, Dulux etc... Expensive and time consuming. The above work was painted with Homebase 'Soothing White' silk emulsion and as you can see, the result is pretty good. I primed the raw MDF first and then watered down the silk emulsion (even Homebase emulsion is like syrup) and applied six coats - denibbing in between each coat. Each coat was also dry within one-to-two hours - winter time. Having said that, I know some clients insist on F&B or similar (maybe it's a hint of snobbery), but it's so expensive in comparison (150% in some cases) and the end result between F&B and a home brand isn't really that much different.

Pinch,

The furniture look great, nice and crisp, I got lost on the logic of using Farrow & Ball, Johnstones, Dulux... Expensive and time consuming,
I agree with F & B being crap, I usually use Johnstones or Dulux sometimes made up in F & B colours, with one oil based primer or Morrels cellulose then 2 coats of eggshell... you might have saved on paint but you have added labour for 4 coats of paint and 4 extras denibbs......Have I missed somthing ?
Paul

If you only have a hammer then everything looks like a nail

http://www.fretworks.co.uk/. 2D & 3D CNC Router - Laser cutting and engraving.

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:34 pm

I use Johnstones silk white. £11 for 6 liters from B&M . How does that price sound to everyone ?

I thin it down and use it as primer and top coat.
I find 4-5 coats does it, and I dont start denibbing untill after the 3rd coat.
1st goat goes on very thin/dry. This helps the next coats not run.
Last coat goes on well wet, to get a nice finish.
I leave 1 hr between coats, with the log burner going to get the room upto about 20degC

If I don't need to match a colour, I tint my own to get close to F&B dimity etc.
Dulux trade center near me will mix 250ml upwards if I need a match, and it seems to dry within a couple of hours,

I like to leave everything at least over night before packing it for transport.
I pack 1st layer with bubble wrap, as I find cardboard will be abrasive against the fresh paint.

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:42 pm

tusses wrote:I use Johnstones silk white. £11 for 6 liters from B&M . How does that price sound to everyone ?

I thin it down and use it as primer and top coat.
I find 4-5 coats does it, and I dont start denibbing untill after the 3rd coat.
1st goat goes on very thin/dry. This helps the next coats not run.
Last coat goes on well wet, to get a nice finish.
I leave 1 hr between coats, with the log burner going to get the room upto about 20degC

If I don't need to match a colour, I tint my own to get close to F&B dimity etc.
Dulux trade center near me will mix 250ml upwards if I need a match, and it seems to dry within a couple of hours,

I like to leave everything at least over night before packing it for transport.
I pack 1st layer with bubble wrap, as I find cardboard will be abrasive against the fresh paint.

Ahhh... that's my problem... I don't have a log burner in the shop :(

£11 for 6 litres is an absolute steal.

Generally, do you paint before assembly or after or a mixture of both?

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:57 pm

I usually paint after assy, and it can be a pain getting into the smaller cubby holes I make !, but a narrow spray pattern usually gets into the corners ok. I did the tight corners 1st so I can see that it's covered ok.

B&M (discount shop if you dont know it) has 6L white in all the time. They stock a range of Johnstones and Leyland paints.

noel
Occasional Poster

Postby noel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:51 pm

Never occurred to me to even look for paint in B & M. I'll have a nosey next time I'm near one. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “Projects”