Maple Bay Window Seat

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
Pinch
Regular Poster

Maple Bay Window Seat

Postby Pinch » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:38 pm

I started this project last Monday, although I made the template on Good Friday morning.

It's going into a large house on a hill with panoramic countryside views - quite stunning.

The window is a large five-segment bay window measuring 3M across and in a 9.2x6M living room. The floor is maple with massive rugs here-n-there, so a maple window seat with storage space is the client's spec.

I'm making it in three separate parts (two double side returns and the top segment) and then connecting/fixing on site. The seats and backs will be upholstered and removable.

The structure is 18mm MDF and the external elevations will be maple panelling with a maple skirting and capping. The only visible MDF will be the inside.

Here's the drawing. I changed the section detail.

The template.

Here, I've marked from the template onto MDF which is the base of the left handed double return.

And here, I've drawn round the template and marked the floor, finely tuning all three base segments ensuring they fit okay.

I've cut and fixed the backs to the double return segments - mitres have two biscuits in each joint.

Then fitted the base rail and end panels to the double return segments and cut/fitted the front panels to the left hand double return segment too. Joints are pretty good - especially inside which is the most important.

Inside both double return segments...

The maple arrived this morning and I'll be connecting all three pieces together tomorrow and then start making all the maple frames 8-)

furynaturre
Subscriber

Re: Maple Bay Window Seat

Postby furynaturre » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:52 pm

That's going to be smart when it's done!

I like the fact you've angle the front back to give your feet room! I love maple floors too so I'm looking forward to seeing some pics when it's in!

Just a quick off topic question, what sort of ceiling heights have you got in your workshop there? They look low-ish in places. I'm just about to build my new workshop and I'm paranoid about ceiling height, just wondering how you get on swinging great lumps of wood around, my ceiling in the current workshop (read living room) is 2.6m and the ceiling is peppered with 'idiot marks!!!'

James

mickthetree
Occasional Poster

Postby mickthetree » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:45 am

Those compound angled cuts are giving me a headache just looking at them!! Were they tricky to work out? Or is there a simple formula to it?

Looking great.

sgiandubh
Subscriber

Postby sgiandubh » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 am

mickthetree wrote:Those compound angled cuts are giving me a headache just looking at them!! Were they tricky to work out? Or is there a simple formula to it?

They can be difficult, and in the old days they were worked out through projected drawings using hand drafting techniques, today mostly largely replaced by using essentially the same techniques in AutoCAD or similar drafting programmes. The alternative, which I use most often nowadays, is an Excel spreadsheet where specific bits of information are placed in allocated cells and the programme spits out the necessary information needed to set the saw tilt and bevel angle. You can design the spreadsheet to calculated for an almost infinite number of scenarios, ie, polyhedra of almost any number of sides. Slainte.

mickthetree
Occasional Poster

Postby mickthetree » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:09 am

My head hurt just reading that.

But thank you :-)

sgiandubh
Subscriber

Postby sgiandubh » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:14 pm

mickthetree wrote:My head hurt just reading that. But thank you :-)

Try these links then for even more brain ache, ha, ha. The Americans are big on all this stuff because of all the crown (cornice) molding [sic] work they do in wood. Slainte.
http://www.had2know.com/academics/dihed ... edron.html

Or Joseph Fusco's guides to some tricky dihedral angle solving problems.
http://www.youtube.com/user/joefusco1960

And then there's this one:
http://www.lowes.com/cd_Miter+Saw+Calculator_711801992_

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi James and thanks 8-) Clients have been for a stage visit and they're happy so far.
Ceiling issue: I built a small mezz above the top end of my assembly bench which I don't find restrictive, mainly because the rest of the shop is vaulted ceiling into the roof space - loads of headroom. If you're building a new shop from scratch, I would go as high as you can and maybe even create a mezz as well.

Hi Mick, no need to worry about projected drawings or CAD or anything like that. Just mark off the job like this...
Firstly, I've temporarily fitted the front panel, making sure it's in the correct place and parallel with the back panel...

I then marked the point of bisection on the front & back of the panel as thus...

Then, I used a straight edge (2' spirit level) and placed it on the tops of the back and front panels. I've lined the straight edge with the back mitre and eyed the straight edge down to the bisection line marked on the base panel. Once they look good, I then marked a line on the top of the front panel.

Then removed the front panel and connected the top & bottom pencil marks with a line. Ready for cutting.

Job done 8-)

Here's an update with today's progress...
The three segments are now assembled (two double side returns-to-top segment on dry assembly) ready to start making & fitting the maple panelling, skirting and capping.

Now on the maple frames. Here; marked and dry assembled with biscuits.

And glued.

All front frames now glued.

Tomorrow... rebate the maple panels into the back of the frames so they're flush with the back, make the side frames and fit all five splayed frames to front of the MDF 8-)

Slainte: Too much info matey :|

sgiandubh
Subscriber

Postby sgiandubh » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Info is always good to have to hand, even if you don't need to use it in every job Pinch. Slainte.

Big_JD
Subscriber

Postby Big_JD » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:32 pm

That's gonna look this business when it's finished, keep the pics coming. Oh, and I hope you don't need to get in your fridge ;)
http://www.jdwoodwork.co.uk
Oh, I'll just keep these off-cuts.......I'll put them with the rest :-(

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:57 pm

sgiandubh wrote:Info is always good to have to hand, even if you don't need to use it in every job Pinch. Slainte.

Sorry Slainte, I didn't mean that in a disrespectful way. On the contrary. I think the calculating of angles etc is very clever.

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Big_JD wrote:That's gonna look this business when it's finished, keep the pics coming. Oh, and I hope you don't need to get in your fridge ;)

Cheers Big_JD. I can just about get into the fridge so I'm still make a cup of tea every hour on the hour ;)

mickthetree
Occasional Poster

Postby mickthetree » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:23 am

ah, now that is much more to my way of working. Pencil and eye it up. Perfik.

sgiandubh
Subscriber

Postby sgiandubh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:21 am

Pinch wrote: Sorry Slainte, I didn't mean that in a disrespectful way. On the contrary. I think the calculating of angles etc is very clever.

I did assume you were posting your comment tongue in cheek. The method of taking points of reference and lines from arranged parts as you've ably demonstrated can also work well, but not in every scenario. Sometimes the only realistic options are to do a projected drawing, use a scientific calculator, or resort to a spreadsheet.

I'm watching this job with interest to see how it comes out in the end. The job looks well organised and managed so far. Slainte.

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:52 pm

sgiandubh wrote:
Pinch wrote: Sorry Slainte, I didn't mean that in a disrespectful way. On the contrary. I think the calculating of angles etc is very clever.

I did assume you were posting your comment tongue in cheek. The method of taking points of reference and lines from arranged parts as you've ably demonstrated can also work well, but not in every scenario. Sometimes the only realistic options are to do a projected drawing, use a scientific calculator, or resort to a spreadsheet.

I'm watching this job with interest to see how it comes out in the end. The job looks well organised and managed so far. Slainte.

Hi Slainte and thanks.

Yes agreed. When I was designing more than making (back in the 90's), I often prepared in orthographic projection - A0X draughter. !st & 3rd angle projections if memory serves.

Update on today's progress... I didn't achieve as much as I hoped today; mainly due to fellow neighbours from their workshops popping in for a chat :|

Anyway, I cleaned up all five maple frames, rebated the backs and fitted the maple veneered panels. I also managed to fit the top segment front panel onto the MDF as well.

Face side of one frame.

Rebated back.

Maple veneered panel screw fixed - no glue.

Formed internal mitres & top on front panel by hand.

And fitted.

Back on it tomorrow ;)

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Today's progress:

Fitted the remaining four front maple panels onto the MDF - very time consuming but pleasing result. I've also made the two end panels which are now assembled and after some thought, I've decided to make the capping in stick-form instead of making three separate frames and fixing them to the top edges. Main reason for this is the backs of the seats (batten, MDF and 50mm foam - tricky to explain) and of course it's much easier. After all, only the front edge of the capping will be visible 99% of the time as the seating panels will be bearing on the capping.

Here, all five front panels now fitted.
I don't know why the veneers appears a different colour in the picture. It's the same as the solid with the naked eye.

Here are the end panels tucked away playing hide-in-seek

And here is where I finished tonight. You can see I've started forming the capping (at the back) with some neat little maple support brackets fixed to the back panels - this is because of the backs of the seats. I'll take some close up shots of this tomorrow.

Cheers.

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Friday's progress update:

Cleaned up and prepared both end panels and continued with the capping; focussing on one section because the upholsterer is coming in tomorrow morning for a view and chat. I would have otherwise continued all the way round instead of completing a section at a time.

Right hand end panel waiting to be fitted.

Left hand double segment almost complete.

As you can see, I've screwed and plugged the capping.

A sample of the back of the seat. There's 50mm foam to be added onto this, plus I shall be making a maple fillet to be fixed to the wall on installation, which is where the seat backs abut. They're hanging on the wall you see...

I'm thinking about waxing this project, but if anyone has any alternative suggestions, I'm all ears.
Thanks.

furynaturre
Subscriber

Postby furynaturre » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:00 pm

See I was right, that is looking very smart!

Thanks for the info on workshop ceiling, I couldn't agree more about height, if it were possible, I'd build with a pair of pitched roofs, but despite a 200 foot long garden I know my luck, the neighbours will kick off, jealousy I reckon!

I'm already dodging building control. The new workshop will be about 525sqft and technically anything over 300 sqft requires BC approval. However I figure if I make it as two separate buildings and join them a bit later, if any NIMBY alerts the council I should be ok, but I am also constrained by a 2.5m max ridge height as when finished it will be less than a metre from my boundary (I knew 6 years in an architects studio would come in handy!) Might be able to snag a bit extra in at least one section, as I always seem to be building 8' plus wardrobes!

Really appreciate the work in progress pictures it's going to look great, I'd love to see it with a 'Bute' type fabric cushion, buttoned with contrasting coloured buttons!

James

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Cheers James - nice one!

How about dropping the new workshop into the ground a bit - a metre maybe. Then, you'll have ample headroom. 8-)

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:41 am

Thanks for posting this one Pinch - not least because I have a 3 sided one to make myself at some stage, so the WIP photos are of great interest. Looking really good! How are the maple panels attached to the mdf sub frame please - just screwed thru from the rear?
Cheers, Roger

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:20 pm

Roger-M wrote:Thanks for posting this one Pinch - not least because I have a 3 sided one to make myself at some stage, so the WIP photos are of great interest. Looking really good! How are the maple panels attached to the mdf sub frame please - just screwed thru from the rear?

Cheers Roger. Yes, I screw fixed from the inside through the MDF into the maple panelling and also applied glue.

I should be installing this job on Wednesday. 8-)

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:53 am

Very tidy looking job mate . Thats a big bay !

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:09 pm

jfc wrote:Very tidy looking job mate . Thats a big bay !

Thanks jfc - yep, it sure is a biggen - 3M across. 8-)

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Update: The seat is ready for installation (tomorrow) and is now on the van. I've just got to finish off the seat backs sometime tomorrow back in the workshop. All going well, I'll only be on site for a few hours - fitting and waxing. Once the seat is fitted, I can confirm actual dimensions for the heights of the seat backs and any other trim work I need.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

As you can see, the left & right cross capping pieces are not plugged yet. This is where the seat disassembles for transit.
Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Seat lids cut and in place - ready for the upholsterer.
Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

In the van...
Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Cheers 8-)

hercule
Subscriber

Postby hercule » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:23 pm

Looks good. At least if they don't pay you it will burn well x

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:49 pm

hercule wrote:Looks good. At least if they don't pay you it will burn well x

:lol: :lol: Thanks and less of the kisses please.

ftacarpentry
Subscriber

Postby ftacarpentry » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:04 pm

That is going to look great Pinch.

Brilliantly simple method for mapping the exact positions of everything within the bay window as well. I've got one to do in early June, and I will be we'll and truly Pinching (!) this idea, thanks!

Looking forward to seeing it upholstered- I love introducing different materials in to a job- even glazing a batch of windows is very satisfying!

Finally- is your van always that bloody clean?!!

Cheers for the pics!

Pete

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks Pete - tis the only way to mark out for a bay window seat ;)

Fitted the seat this morning with no probs and then back in the shop this afternoon cutting all the backs to size. But this one has been a bit tricky because all the dwarf wall internal splays are rounded off in the corners so there's been a lot of scribing-in. Should finish it off tomorrow and will post the final pics - well, actually, the final pics will be when the upholsterer has finished.

My van (or minibus) is a project - it's becoming a bit of a camper which is great for the wife and dogs. And also for me when the wife and me argue :D

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Update: Finished the work today although the final pictures won't be taken for a couple of weeks when the upholstery is done. I'm taking all the seat & back panels to the upholsterer tomorrow.

The backs are on hanging battens (so they're removable) which was very tricky to do due to out of plumb walls and rounded internal corners.

My clients are absolutely over the moon with their new feature window seat and they've paid me in full already..... ;) ;) hurcule

Thanks for looking and I'll upload the final pictures when the seats and backs are upholstered and in place.

8-)

paulchapman
Subscriber

Postby paulchapman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Cracking job.

Cheers ;)

Paul

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:35 am

paulchapman wrote:Cracking job.

Cheers ;)

Paul

Thanks Paul - nice one 8-)

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:23 pm

They look really good. I have to say, scrolling through the last set of photos I did a double take when there appeared to be something looking at me in one of the pictures! Are they going to get you to sand and refinish the floor next?

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Wed May 01, 2013 6:33 pm

promhandicam wrote:They look really good. I have to say, scrolling through the last set of photos I did a double take when there appeared to be something looking at me in one of the pictures! Are they going to get you to sand and refinish the floor next?

Thanks Steve. Yes, there are all sorts of things like that scattered around the garden like this below.

No need to do anything with the floor because rugs cover many areas including the bit in front of the window seat.

Pinch
Regular Poster

Re: Maple Bay Window Seat - FINISHED

Postby Pinch » Wed May 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Seats and backs now upholstered and all fitted.

I was invited for lunch too 8-)

I welcome a final verdict.

Thanks.

mattty
Subscriber

Postby mattty » Wed May 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Lovely job, and a good one for the website/cv. Tree man is cool!
Cheers, Matt.

karl
Subscriber

Postby karl » Wed May 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Yep - nice work. It's always a bit difficult as to what type of conventional seating could be fitted into that shape conservatory; I did something similar in ours - only half the shape seating though.

Cheers

Karl

jrm
Subscriber

Postby jrm » Wed May 01, 2013 8:12 pm

Great work and a really interesting thread. Thanks for taking the trouble to photo it all.

John

George Fisher
Occasional Poster

Postby George Fisher » Fri May 03, 2013 10:27 pm

Is the upholstery and collection of vases as disgusting in real life as they are in the photo. It looks like a 1980's gipsy caravan.

Nice woodwork though....

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:46 am

George Fisher wrote:Is the upholstery and collection of vases as disgusting in real life as they are in the photo. It looks like a 1980's gipsy caravan.

Nice woodwork though....

Only your opinion though - I quite like it .

Good work Pinch, a much enjoyable thread.
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Sat May 04, 2013 8:38 am

George Fisher wrote:Is the upholstery and collection of vases as disgusting in real life as they are in the photo. It looks like a 1980's gipsy caravan.

Nice woodwork though....

Hmm. I must admit that the upholstery does have that certain "Curry House" look to it. Not unpleasant though, and the wood work is great. I particularly like the way the panels slope back so that you can tuck your heels in, and which takes off what could otherwise have been a very boxy appearance.

The height of the back is clearly limited by the window cill. Presumably if the cill had been higher, the backs would also have been higher and raked back a bit? Is the vertical back something specified by the customer, or is it just experience from having built others? I was wondering how comfortable it is without any rake to the back.
Cheers, Roger

Pinch
Regular Poster

Postby Pinch » Sat May 04, 2013 5:18 pm

mattty wrote:Lovely job, and a good one for the website/cv. Tree man is cool!

Thanks Matty - yep, it's on the website 8-)

Return to “Projects”