Stretching sketchup model without altering section sizes

From Sketchup to pencil and paper, discuss your design and development ideas here.
hammertime
Subscriber

Stretching sketchup model without altering section sizes

Postby hammertime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:45 am

Is it possible to increase the length of something thats drawn without increasing every dimension. For example ive drawn a bookcase 1000mm high, all the skirting and pelmet is the right dimensions, I just want to stretch the middle part so its 1500mm overall. Im guessing I could somehow slice it in half, pull them apart to the right spacing then use the push pull to join the gap up ?
At the moment I get by by making everything components. I haven't mastered the grouping components etc just yet.

Sent from my GT-I9300

nickw
Subscriber

Re: Stretching sketchup model without altering section sizes

Postby nickw » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:09 am

Open each component, select the top parts that you don't want to change in size (with a left to right selection) and Move them upwards by 500 mm.
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

hammertime
Subscriber

Postby hammertime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:50 am

O.k, so if I selected the two sides, would it automatically move the top, cornice and beading etc after or would I need to reposition them separately ?
Edit: I'll see if I can host the thing im trying to change.
Thanks ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:56 am

Further to Nick's suggestion, if you've made the separate parts as components, simply move those that don't change such as the pelmet up. Then open a case side component and select the top portion and move it up. If you have a rebate or housing that needs to remain in the same relationship with the top edge of the side, be sure to include it in the selection. You can see this in action here.
Authorized SketchUp Training Center

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:07 pm

hammertime wrote:O.k, so if I selected the two sides, would it automatically move the top, cornice and beading etc after or would I need to reposition them separately ?
Edit: I'll see if I can host the thing im trying to change.
Thanks ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300

It depends upon how you've drawn your model. Did you draw each part you would make in wood as a component?

Seeing your model would be helpful.

hammertime
Subscriber

Postby hammertime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:09 pm

I'll have a closer read at dinner time dave, thanks for the link. As usual heres a terrible photo of what im after :D

Theresva bead mitred around the front of the sides ( took ages trying to figure out the follow me tool for that ) :mad: on the whole I think the drawing took about 3 hrs :P enjoyed the steep learning curve though !

Sent from my GT-I9300

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:12 pm

It looks like a nice case. And if you're learning, that's even better.

hammertime
Subscriber

Postby hammertime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:10 pm

Cheers Dave, without your previous help i'd never have been able to do it - Plus i got the job ( 2 of em) and think the drawing really helped sway the customers decision ;)
Heres a link to dropbox , which should hopefully be the file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjvqoen9woudlcc/Bookcase.skb

Feel free to pull the picture to pieces. I could do with a few pointers of what im doing majorly wrong.

Thanks very much

hammertime
Subscriber

Postby hammertime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Just saw your othe post dave about the component question- yes, thats all i ever do as soon as i draw something- make component then copy etc etc.

hammertime
Subscriber

Postby hammertime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Just saw your othe post Dave about the component question- yes, thats all i ever do as soon as i draw something- make component then copy etc etc.

daver
Occasional Poster

Postby daver » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:45 pm

There's an echo in here. :D

OK, so I had a look at your model. (BTW, you uploaded the back up file which has the skb extension instead of the last saved version which should be skp.) I'm not sure which direction you want to resize the model or where your 1000mm or 1500mm comes in but, you should be able to make the changes fairly easily.

Here I've moved all the components at the top up 500mm. That's just a simple select and move deal.

In the next image I opened the bead component and selected the geometry at the top. Then I started the move in the upward direction.

For the case sides, back and the pieces behind the molding from the above image, just use Push/Pull on them. Copy the shelf to add more as needed.

We ought to talk about the way you are using components for some of these bits. The moldings up the front for example should be made so at least each frame is a component and they are instances of the same component. As they are now, you've got two sets of loose geometry inside a single component.

hammertime
Subscriber

Postby hammertime » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:56 am

Thanks for the explanation Dave . I'll be sure to have some more questions for you when I get chance to digest what you've wrote. I've found with sketchup I need to set aside a few hours when it comes to wanting to learn new things. Hopefully I'll get chance over the weekend ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300

Return to “Design/Development”