Metabo 260 H Planer/ Thicknesser

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
Scrollalong

Metabo 260 H Planer/ Thicknesser

Post by Scrollalong » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:53 am

Has anyone out there own the above machine.

If so I wonder if you are experiencing the problems I'm having. I have spent many frustrating hours in fact the hours have turned into days trying to
get the knives set as I need them to be set. I have tried every method from using the piece of wood across the cutter block and infeed table, The piece of metal that came with the machine to adjust the height of the knife, I have tried the magnet method, also the method I saw in a woodworkers
magazine where you lay a piece of paper across the outfeed table laying a metal rule on the paper and across the knives, this according to the magazine
is supposed to be the correct height of the knives, I have tried to make sure that both the outfeed and infeed table are co -planar, not so easy with
the metabo as the adjustment is a bit crude. No matter how I try the blades are either to high causing the planing action to snipe. or to low causing
the wood to taper. My latest method is just to put a metal rule across the outfeed table and the cutterblock and set the knives to that height.
This has improved a bit but I am not happy with the result.

I have had this machine for 4 years now and needless to say I am losing faith in it, and myself. In addition to the blade setting problem, the blades seem to get a nick in them often, I can't understand why as I never plane reclaimed wood, and always make the cutterblock is kept free of debris. Also the motor changes pitch and makes a horrible roaring noise but goes as quick as it came.

I'm sorry to go on a bit but i just feel the need to vent before this machine finally drives me round the bend.

Thanks for reading.

Harry.

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Re: Metabo 260 H Planer/ Thicknesser

Post by Jonathan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:09 pm

I know how you feel!
I had a similar kity planner/ thicknesser, I bought it for taking on site .....
I sold it !
I think these type of machines are made for people that do not understand snipe, flat, straight, co plane, etc etc.

Bo'sun

Post by Bo'sun » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:02 pm

Hello Scrollalong,

Had similar issues with my KIty 1637 Planer/Thicknesser. Snipe is something that is almost impossible to eliminate even with the best set knives. I've just bought an Axminster "Planer Blade Vernier Setting Jig", and it does the job just fine. However, you have to fully lower the Planer in-feed table to expose enough of the cutter block to attach the jig. I've found that you have to be careful when tightening the clamp/gib bolts, making sure you don't alter the knife position as the bolts rotate.

Forget the Axminster setting jig that uses magnets and LED's. They're absolute rubbish!

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:14 am

You have said that you have set your planer blades correctly also your in-feed and out-feed tables, in which case you should not be having this problem.

I have had planer blades professionally sharpened before that been returned that have not been flat along the cutting edge, if the blades are like this you can't set them properly. I now sharpen my own freehand (with a wooden jig) on a wide grinding wheel. As I sharpen the blades I check to ensure they are flat on the cutting edge by using a straight flat bar held against the cutting edge and hold this up to a light to check for any slight signs of light shining through. I hone the edge if needed using a diamond stone. Three 12" blades take about 30 minutes which is less time than it takes to package them up and posting for sharpening.

Once you know you have correctly sharpened blades work on the out-feed table. Set this up to align within reason with in feed table (so it is on the same plane) then fine tune it to your your cutter block (knifes removed). I set my out-feed table 1mm above my cutter-block (blades removed).

Use a perfectly flat straight edge and lay this on your out-feed table, use a 1mm spacer on your cutter block (steel rule is good for this) make sure the straight edge rests on the block and out-feed table (1mm spacer on the block). Use a light held behind the straight edge and adjust the out-feed table until no light shines through between the straight edge and the out-feed table. Check each side of the out-feed table in turn and continue to adjust each side of the out-feed table until both edges of the out-feed table are perfectly aligned with the cutter block. You will probably have to re check each side a coupe of times before you get the out-feed table spot on.

With the out-feed table aligned now check that the in-feed table is adjusted correctly and on the same plane as the out-feed table. Just wind the in-feed table up until it is on the same plane as the out-feed then use the same procedure as before but this time you are checking the in-feed table is aligned with the out-feed table. Check for any gaps using a light held behind the straight edge, check the in-feed table is adjusted correctly with the out-feed table and adjust (only the in-feed table) until no light shines through between the tables and straight edge. Check both edges of the table and re-check until both are aligned.

Now set your planer blades and you should be good to go.

The only reason you can be having a problem is because something is out of alignment. If your tables won't align when using the full rang of adjustment in the design of the machine you may have faulty castings (twisted), in which case you should contact the manufacturer for assistance.

Hope this is of some help.

Mark

siafins
Subscriber

Post by siafins » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:39 pm

Bo'sun wrote:Hello Scrollalong,

Had similar issues with my KIty 1637 Planer/Thicknesser. Snipe is something that is almost impossible to eliminate even with the best set knives. I've just bought an Axminster "Planer Blade Vernier Setting Jig", and it does the job just fine. However, you have to fully lower the Planer in-feed table to expose enough of the cutter block to attach the jig. I've found that you have to be careful when tightening the clamp/gib bolts, making sure you don't alter the knife position as the bolts rotate.

Forget the Axminster setting jig that uses magnets and LED's. They're absolute rubbish!
Kity made a planer blade setting jig for that planer. I had the same machine many years ago, it took a few minutes to set the blades and never had a problem with snipe.

The Kity's long gone, sorry the planer setting jig went with it!! but only paid £10 seconhand for the jig! To be honest I just use a length of stick even on much bigger machines these days.

Bo'sun

Post by Bo'sun » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:34 pm

I agree that the stick method works (eventually), but it had me going from one side of the knife, to the other, like a ping pong ball, until eventually they were both the same.

I'm still not convinced that, however accurately you set the knives, you can eliminate snipe. I think it's more to do with the sprung loaded feed rollers tipping the timber as it feeds in and out. Clearly, longer pieces will benefit from support to keep them level (as best you can) with the thicknesser table.

There are some YouTube videos (mostly from the US) about eliminating/reducing snipe, but most seem too much of a faff. I just allow a couple of inches on each end if it's that important. Some years ago I measured the amount of snipe and was surprised how small it was. In some cases, a little glass papering is all that's needed.

siafins
Subscriber

Post by siafins » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:28 pm

Bo'sun wrote:I agree that the stick method works (eventually), but it had me going from one side of the knife, to the other, like a ping pong ball, until eventually they were both the same.

I'm still not convinced that, however accurately you set the knives, you can eliminate snipe. I think it's more to do with the sprung loaded feed rollers tipping the timber as it feeds in and out. Clearly, longer pieces will benefit from support to keep them level (as best you can) with the thicknesser table.

There are some YouTube videos (mostly from the US) about eliminating/reducing snipe, but most seem too much of a faff. I just allow a couple of inches on each end if it's that important. Some years ago I measured the amount of snipe and was surprised how small it was. In some cases, a little glass papering is all that's needed.
The Kity jig a simple piece of kit, flat plate across the width of the bed, one marker on the outfeed table edge and rotate the point of the blade to the second marker and tighten.

If you have your current blades set up spot on, you could make a jig for future blade setting if it helps.