Combination machine, expensive combination machine or separates....

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
Bloomoo

Combination machine, expensive combination machine or separates....

Postby Bloomoo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:53 pm

I’m at a crossroads. Over the last 10 years my woodwork has become a bit more than a hobby and continues to expand.

I now need a better thicknesser planer, a professional table saw and would really enjoy a good spindle moulder. I am limited by single phase power.

I could buy a nice startrite sd31 and maybe a minimax st-1 genius for 4-5k

But then I see the combination machines.... about the same price

And then I see the minimax cu300 for 7k and I start dreaming

Does anyone have advice of the best combination machines?

Are separates really better for a small workshop?

I have learnt many years ago to spend as much as I can on long term machines, but 7k is a push.... but I still have 30 years of life left in me!

Any advice at all would be most valued..... I just don’t know enough!

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Re: Combination machine, expensive combination machine or separates....

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:08 pm

Welcome to the forum, Bloomoo.

Most of the guys here will tell you separates. It depends on how much space you have. Separates win hands down IMO if you have the space. I had a decent workshop with some lovely cast iron separates. Then I had to move and discovered where I moved to that the mains supply was 'challenged' and so most of my stuff had to be sold as it wouldn't run properly on 240v.

It was suggested to me that I could get a 3-phase combination machine and run it from an inverter which could be programmed to not put such a high start-up load on the mains supply. So I bought a Hammer C3-31 and an inverter. That's when I discovered that without a factory winch I had no chance of getting inside to do the mods needed to connect it to the inverter. So I had to go out and buy a rotary converter to drive the Hammer.

Now having used the Hammer in anger, it is a PITA. You really have to get your workflow sorted because changing modes - say from table saw to thicknesser - is a right ball-ache. And, of course, Sods' Law came into play because if I'd gone down the rotary converter route in the first place I could have bought some nice secondhand cast-iron 3-phase stuff and not had the workflow problem.

More than happy to talk more about the Hammer but my advice is separates (if you have the space)
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Re: Combination machine, expensive combination machine or separates....

Postby thatsnotafestool » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:28 pm

Having gone back into the workshop after an enforced break, while I was busy on other projects, and using the combination machine in anger for the first time in months, I'd forgotten what a ballache it is to use and am now seriously thinking about ditching it and getting some nice old cast iron separates.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”