Dovetail Jig

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Blueflame2007

Dovetail Jig

Postby Blueflame2007 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Hi all, Newbie here with first posting. Hobbyist skills only, gas fitter/plumber by trade but great interest in all trades. I am looking for recommendations for a dovetail jig. I have to make up seven sets of kitchen unit drawers with sliders and was thinking of using a dovetail jig for extra stability. Budget up to around 150 quid so nothing too expensive. Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:

JonR
Occasional Poster

Re: Dovetail Jig

Postby JonR » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:47 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trend-DJ300- ... 3728282248

We got one of the Trend jigs in the link above, rarely used but does the job. Looks like a bargain to me.

thekarter
Occasional Poster

Postby thekarter » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:43 am

I have had a Leigh Dovetail Jig for some years, this is a quality tool. Check out eBay you may be able to pick one up for around £150. Check it out on youtube
Alan

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:03 pm

I'd think about buying a Leigh Dovetail Jig. You might have to pay between £250-£300 on ebay for a second hand one but they are the des-res of Dovetail Jigs and a re-sale is likely to recoup all of your original outlay.

Yes I use one and it's a great bit of kit.

Mark

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:39 am

Most jigs have a fixed spacing for the tails and sockets which limits the sizes of the box sides to n times the number of joints plus a fixed amount otherwise you get half pins/ tails. I can't remember the numbers but it is something like 3.5 inches 4.5 , 5.5 etc
If you are designing your drawer from scratch then this might not be a problem but sort this out first so you can decide if a basic fixed jig will be acceptable.
Yes the Leigh jig with variable pitch is the rolls Royce of jigs but you might only need a Ford Fiesta
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Woodworking”