Small Business Grant Fund Grants...........

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Leveller2911
Subscriber

Small Business Grant Fund Grants...........

Post by Leveller2911 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi guys, thought I'd put this thread in the woodwork section as most people check it on a regular basis...

Has anyone applied for the Small Business Grant the Gov't created to help out those businesses with property who are on the Business Rates system. Worth checking out and although the Government say they will be in touch through the Local Authorities and we don't need to do anything my Local Council have opened an online protal to allow people to apply.This a Grant and not a loan.

I applied last Friday ,very simple online application just needs your business Rates bill reference number ,bank details and claim. A friend of mine who applied 6 days previously has received his money . Even if like me you don't pay rates as you receive 100% small business rate relief you would qualify for the £10,000 grant dependant on the rateable value of your workshop and that you are the person who pays the rates (or pay £0 if you receive 100% rate relief) .. Being a grant opposed to a loan its there to support your business whilst we are in the current crisis............. Check out your Local Authorities website and they may also have an online portal.My Local Authority are paying direct into bank accounts on a Monday,Wednesday and Friday each week to try and get the money to businesses asap.

Government link below:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf

Sorry if its already been posted....................Leveller..

jfc
Administrator

Re: Small Business Grant Fund Grants...........

Post by jfc » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:38 pm

Good find !
While our workshops are quiet what can we make to help ? I cant find any info .

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Post by Leveller2911 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:06 pm

jfc wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:38 pm
Good find !
While our workshops are quiet what can we make to help ? I cant find any info .

I'm making visors/head guards out of Sapele.............. ;)

It took me a while to find the link on my local Council website which is Rother District council... Search on your local Authority website for Coronavirus information to businesses and try and locate it via that.. Mine wasn't easy but if your LA has started to apply the grant it should be there.. Or google the question and your LA in the question.. Its £10k Jase so better in your pocket that theirs especially when we wil all be hit in the pocket once this is over with increased taxes..

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Post by Leveller2911 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:08 pm

Andys Woodshed wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:46 pm
Applied 👍
Hi Andy, have you received the money yet ?. As I mentioned I know a mate of mine who applied a week before me and he has his..

Hope all the guys get the help we all need... As they say "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".. :D

Andys Woodshed
Administrator

Post by Andys Woodshed » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:26 pm

Leveller2911 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:08 pm
Andys Woodshed wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:46 pm
Applied 👍
Hi Andy, have you received the money yet ?. As I mentioned I know a mate of mine who applied a week before me and he has his..

Hope all the guys get the help we all need... As they say "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".. :D
Only applied last Wednesday so probably another 10 day wait

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Post by Leveller2911 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:21 am

If and when mine arrives I will post up on here.. I applied on Friday 3rd April so hoping this next week.

Interesting to see how mnay guys receive it but I guess some work from home in the garden and others have large units which would mean they don't qualify..

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:36 pm

When i got planning permission for my workshop, one of the conditions was that I should not run a business from it and it was strictly for hobby purposes.
So I guess I can't apply lol

Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mark270981
Subscriber

Post by mark270981 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:09 pm

I have also applied but unsure what I am entitled to!

I have a rateable value of 49k so thought I would get the 25k but I think that this is only applicable to retail and leisure.
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Post by Leveller2911 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:15 pm

Quick update : Received payment details from my local council so payment within 3 working days. Worth passing on to others who are not aware of the Grant. I passed on the info to 3 people who have all applied but didn't know it was available.

I know a lot of businesses are falling through the gaps and don't qualify and I hope the Government either gets this country moving in the next 3 weeks or steps up and increases the support to those who need it........

mark270981
Subscriber

Post by mark270981 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:19 pm

As I suspected I’m not eligible which is a shame.

It’s going to be too hard for me to come back from this without drastic actions.

I won’t be having 3/4 of the staff back - the company will be ok but I reckon there is a year to 2 years to get it back to where it was!
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Oakfield
Subscriber

Post by Oakfield » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:44 pm

Just to let you know, I applied for this less than 2 weeks ago, with Wealden Council and can confirm the money was received today.
So a massive thank you for pointing this out as I’m not sure I would of gone looking for it otherwise and this is a huge help to me.

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Post by Leveller2911 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:19 pm

Oakfield wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:44 pm
Just to let you know, I applied for this less than 2 weeks ago, with Wealden Council and can confirm the money was received today.
So a massive thank you for pointing this out as I’m not sure I would of gone looking for it otherwise and this is a huge help to me.
Hi Oakfield,
Glad you received the money and as you say it will help to keep us all going and I just wish other guys could get the help who are falling through the gaps.

What has surprised me is how many people don't know about the grant and I've let a few people know about it who have claimed and although the Goverment website says "You don't need to apply as Your local Authority will be in touch " it seems the Councils haven't got the manpower so they are all opening online portals for people to claim........

Noticed you're in the Wealden area just up the road from me. I'm under Rother District Council.

All the best Leveller.............

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:57 am

Well thats the WWUK Christmas party accounted for then :lol: :lol: :lol:

mark270981
Subscriber

Post by mark270981 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:10 am

It is a terribly thought out scheme, knee jerk reaction.

I am not being a sour puss as I think help is required and needs to be given.

So pre COVID I had 150k worth of work for a 6 week period which was lost over night so resulted in zero work.
This gave 12 people full time work
Granted I have furloughed all these guys and yes we do get help to pay the wages, however they would have been made redundant indefinitely otherwise and more than likely still will be as work won’t come back through the door.

Couple with this contractors not paying their invoices as they have closed their doors so can’t even chase them and or issue issue any sort of proceedings.

I have paid my purchase ledger so therefore have cleared my debt to my suppliers - it’s left me with next to nothing in the bank. But my conscience is clear.

I then approached the bank for a CBIL loan, as I thought well this will tide me over - how wrong was I because I’ve cleared all my debt (the right thing to do) I am not deemed at not being at risk to go under so therefore a CBIL loan not available to me! The loan is based on debt and expenditure!

However I have been offered a Relatively expensive conventional loan which I don’t want but probably need to take.

Honestly I feel really f**king let down, I am disappointed that I will need to make 8 people who have been with me for a number of years permanently redundant as the work simply isn’t there to keep them on.

My only saving grace is that we are machining sneeze screens for a large retail group - but that is a weeks worth of work.

Crazy times
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Post by Leveller2911 » Sat May 02, 2020 3:48 pm

Hi Mark,
Sorry to hear you have still fallen through the gaps. I genuinely believe the Gov't are trying their best on this one and are constantly tweeking/amending the current schemes. On the Radio (LBC,Talk Radio) during the week they interviewed a guy who was explaining There is a new scheme beginning on Monday when the website should be active.

Basically it gives small businesses a loan of up to 25% of their turnover (iirc) which is interest free for 12 months and then low rate for the remainder of the loan. Its a Gov't scheme and applied for through the banks ,ideally your existing bank as you would already have a relationship.............. It might be something you could look into and mate as things are very fluid you should keep checking the Govt website,Local Authority websites etc on a daily basis. I would also be checking the Gov't website because your existing Bank trying to giude you towards a product that is high interest, makes you put up guarantees etc is not on and should not be happening. I would definitely contact your local MP, explain your situation and they may well be able to help/giude you towards the help you need..

Hope you get some good news soon mate..................All the best Leveller

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Post by Leveller2911 » Sat May 02, 2020 3:57 pm

Mark,
Just reading the criteria on the website below and it says you can apply to other lenders if turned down by one. From the link below:

Quote: "4. If the lender turns you down

If one lender turns you down, you can still approach other lenders within the scheme.

Access to the scheme has now been opened up to smaller businesses facing cashflow difficulties who previously would not have been eligible for CBILS because they met the requirements for a standard commercial facility.

You may therefore consider re-contacting your lender if you have previously been unsuccessful in securing funding.

https://www.british-business-bank.co.uk ... -advisors/

mark270981
Subscriber

Post by mark270981 » Sun May 03, 2020 8:29 am

I think I will explore it all further tomorrow

Thank you for taking your time on this it’s much appreciated
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Thu May 07, 2020 11:08 am

mark270981 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:29 am
I think I will explore it all further tomorrow

Thank you for taking your time on this it’s much appreciated
Really sorry to hear what you are experiencing Mark.

I might help if you contact your local MP they can sometimes step in to help.

All the best.

mark270981
Subscriber

Post by mark270981 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:07 pm

Funnily enough we did get in touch with our MP - he is actually very good and you will all know him from plebgate, which he was cleared of BTW.

I am finding it incredible at the moment, I have to say I think in 12 months time it’s all going to do very wrong when people start defaulting on their 100% government back loans.

Someone I know is using his 10k grant to buy himself a Rolex watch!
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Post by Leveller2911 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:02 am

mark270981 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:07 pm
Funnily enough we did get in touch with our MP - he is actually very good and you will all know him from plebgate, which he was cleared of BTW.

I am finding it incredible at the moment, I have to say I think in 12 months time it’s all going to do very wrong when people start defaulting on their 100% government back loans.

Someone I know is using his 10k grant to buy himself a Rolex watch!

You could well be right Mark but I'm not sure what the Government could have done in such a short space of time and given that fact people were always going to fall through the cracks ,sadly. Regards to "Rolex watch" , well some people were always going to wasteit or spend it elsewhere but personally the £10 is paying the workshop rent, I've bought a new small extractor to fit behind my crosscut bench as my old one was a small KITY from 1994 and I replaced my chop saw. To me paying the rent in the workshop is the priority.

There was a caller on LBC this week who ran a food wagon in Bristol and he was given a loan this week of £17k which he will use to buy a new van but listening to him saying he has no money and living off his credit cards to eat it sounds like the type of loan only an idiot would grant because it sounded very much like his business model was poor.................

The Bank of England's opinion (take with a huge pinch of salt) is the downturn will be short and we should pick up by the turn of the year. Personally I don't buy it and many businesses will shut and more importantly the public confidence will be shot to bits so people who do have an income will be holding on to it. Add that to my opinion that the EU is going to implode over the next 18 months we will see economic turmoil across the continent and the world at large.

One positive point is interest rates are at an historic low, as low as they can get pretty much and inflation is also low..

Its a bizarre time we are living through..