Integrated fridge door problem - ideas please.

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Roger-M
Subscriber

Integrated fridge door problem - ideas please.

Postby Roger-M » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:28 pm

I'm fitting my first ever integrated appliance - a Siemens eye level fridge. I've made a unit according to the dimensions specified by Siemens and I was well chuffed that it slid into the housing snug as a hand in glove. That was until I came to fit the door.

This is an inframe kitchen. When the door is closed it fits beautifully with a 2mm gap all round. When the door was opened it fouled the front of the face frame.

However, when the door is positioned to clear the face frame, then it leaves a gap of approx 6 - 7mm between the door and frame. The face frame is 24.5mm thick, and the door frame is 21.5mm thick. There is no internal overlap between the face frame and the carcase. How do you guys deal with this?

Ideas.

1. Reduce the width of the face frame. However, that would mean that the fridge could never be taken out in an emergency, and it would also foul up the drawers beneath which fit just fine.

2. Move the fridge forward by about 5mm, and reduce the thickness of the door by 5mm. That should enable the door to fit without changing the face frame. I could probably get away with reducing the thickness of the back of the door as the 10mm panel sits centrally in a 21.5mm frame so there is 5mm I could lose from the back and it won't be seen anyway.

3. Make the face frame and door in one, so that it acts like an ordinary "lay on" door.

4. Something I've not thought of.

The face frame can easily be removed as it is just held on with pocket screws and indexed with dominoes all round.

How do you guys do these? Help!
Cheers, Roger

senior
Subscriber

Re: Integrated fridge door problem - ideas please.

Postby senior » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:41 pm

option 3 mate.
I always make the door and frame as one on fridges, freezers, dishwashers and pullout larders.
So in this case i'd have a face frame for the drawers and a seperate face frame for the fridge with the door glued in.
Have a look at my facebook page and leave a comment or two.
Or browse my website Hand made kitchens Essex

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Could you hinge the fridge door and door seperately and use the fridge door sliders for the integrated appliances rather than re making the work done. Option3 otherwise.

jonnyd
Subscriber

Postby jonnyd » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:34 pm

I often use option 3 but sometimes make the frame wider with an internal gap of 600 and fit additional carcase pieces inside so it acts like a overlay door if that makes sense.

Cheers

Jon
For the latest from the workshop follow on twitter @JonnysWorkshop
Pics from the workshop on Instagram @jonnydburn

senior
Subscriber

Postby senior » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:38 pm

I used to do it your way Roger and the only solution is to put a round over or chamfer down the right side of the door.
Have a look at my facebook page and leave a comment or two.
Or browse my website Hand made kitchens Essex

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:19 pm

senior wrote:option 3 mate.
I always make the door and frame as one on fridges, freezers, dishwashers and pullout larders. So in this case i'd have a face frame for the drawers and a seperate face frame for the fridge with the door glued in.

I used to do it your way Roger and the only solution is to put a round over or chamfer down the right side of the door.

OK. I think I see what you mean. It would be nice to be able to keep the existing face frame around the drawers, but think I can see a way to salvage some of what i have done.

siafins wrote:Could you hinge the fridge door and door seperately and use the fridge door sliders for the integrated appliances rather than re making the work done. Option3 otherwise.

Not in this case siafins. The door relies entirely on the fridge hinges and is attached firmly to the fridge. There are no door sliders and followers.

jonnyd wrote:I often use option 3 but sometimes make the frame wider with an internal gap of 600 and fit additional carcase pieces inside so it acts like a overlay door if that makes sense.

Cheers

Jon

Do you mean a bit like this Jon?

This is a cupboard with internal drawers which needed an overlay door for the drawers to clear the door, and in this case I've added an 18mm "packer" between this and the adjoining unit to take the face frame.

The fridge which is causing the problem is at the end of a run which may or may not complicate what happens.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I'll have a play with some offcuts tomorrow to try various ideas so that i can pick the one that in most practical in this case.
Cheers, Roger

jonnyd
Subscriber

Postby jonnyd » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:44 am

Yeah like that roger .

Cheers

Jon
For the latest from the workshop follow on twitter @JonnysWorkshop
Pics from the workshop on Instagram @jonnydburn

PABLO123
Subscriber

Postby PABLO123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:45 am

Hi Roger
Everything is looking good, will it be finished for Christmas??.The only way you can do it with that type of fridge is to make the door and frame as one. I try and use fridges with the sliders on so they look the same as all the other inset doors in the kitchen.

Paul

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:03 am

PABLO123 wrote:Hi Roger
Everything is looking good, will it be finished for Christmas??.The only way you can do it with that type of fridge is to make the door and frame as one. I try and use fridges with the sliders on so they look the same as all the other inset doors in the kitchen.

Paul

Yep - but not saying which Xmas :lol: :lol: :lol: Took loads of time off for travelling this year but head down now. Granite templaters were in last thursday and will be back with the worktops next Thurs. After that I'll do a write up with piccies.

I've just removed the face frame and am playing around with off cuts so that I can understand the geometry of what is happening. Ultimately it may be quicker to make a new frame than try and coax what I have into shape. That's the price of learning I guess.
Cheers, Roger

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:29 pm

I do the same as Jon and make the door 600 wide, so the cabinet external dimension has to be 600 + 2 face frame widths. I have a Siemens fridge at home and the door sits within the face frame and opens without binding. A lot of work though as you would need to make a new door and drawer fronts at least.
Keith

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:49 pm

woodsmith wrote:I do the same as Jon and make the door 600 wide, so the cabinet external dimension has to be 600 + 2 face frame widths. I have a Siemens fridge at home and the door sits within the face frame and opens without binding. A lot of work though as you would need to make a new door and drawer fronts at least.

Thanks Keith ( and Jon ). I've come to the same conclusion. So this afternoon I played around with some offcuts mounted where the new faceframe side has to be, and added a door rail offcut to the fridge door to prove the concept. It seems fine - and it's what I should have done in the first place. Lesson learned. Install the appliance and make a frame and door to fit.

The door is right hung and will remain that way, so no need to widen the frame on the other side.

So the plan is :-

Cut out the rails on the face frame and recut the joints in the same place on the stiles on the router table.

Add new rails 18mm longer than the existing ones.

The door was made to fit the hole and then plan was to cut to size during fitting. By the time I've allowed for a 2mm gap all round I will need to add 7mm to each stile. I've found some timber that I think will be a pretty good match.

I'll need to do the same to the drawer fronts.

Not ideal, but I reckon the added timber both sides won't show too badly unless you actually go looking for it! But with 68 door and drawer fronts I don't think most people will notice. At worst, we'll have a door and 2 drawers that fit but may need replacing sometime in the future once the rest is finished. I'll set to tomorrow and post piccies of the result.

Thanks for all the help guys - much appreciated in getting my head around what needs to be done.
Cheers, Roger

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Sorted! Just as I described above.

Cheers, Roger

Return to “Woodworking”