Timber frames for metal Crittall type casement inserts..

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Leveller2911
Subscriber

Timber frames for metal Crittall type casement inserts..

Postby Leveller2911 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:43 pm

Afternoon all, hope you're all keeping well and watching the footie..

I've been asked to make some European Oak timber sub frames on a 15th century house . I'm having a nightmare in trying to find the timber section details (ie rebate dimension). Anyone who's made them before will know the timber frames have a double rebate so the metal casement section. If you only make a single rebate you see the perimeter of the metal casement (usually bedded on putty in the old days) on the inside of the window, hence you have an extra rebate so you don't see it.

I spent 3hrs on the internet looking for timber section dimensions and also phoned 2 companies including Crittall and all they wanted to do was either come out and site survey the job (not needed as I'm making the sub frames and only need to deduct 4mm off height and width to order the metal casements) or they guided me to their CAD drawing of a "typical timber sub frame section" with no dimensions on it............. I did contact a company in the SW who do have section drawings but the client may not buy from them .

Link to the helpful companies drawing so you can get an idea of sections but are they the same for Crittalls?.

https://www.cotswold-casements.co.uk/as ... etails.pdf

The Architect is f*cking useless (typically these days) and the builder is too busy and seems to be leaving it up to me.

mark270981
Subscriber

Re: Timber frames for metal Crittall type casement inserts..

Postby mark270981 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 am

I hope you’ve agreed your fees for the research and design!
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

furynaturre
Subscriber

Postby furynaturre » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:03 am

Leveller,

Do you have a CAD programe?

If so this link will give you .dxf files of the crittall product, but you'll obviously need to know exactly what secction/window style is to be fabricated. Fabco (similar to crittall will be different again etc.)

https://www.crittall-windows.co.uk/prof ... downloads/

If you don't have CAD send me a PM with your number and I'll get the section dimensions for you.

James

P.S This is obviously only for the steel bit it will be down to you work out what sizes to make the rebate but that's just normal, from my use of crittall and Fabco their tolerances for fitting are quite tight. If you want I could also look at the timber section you found and if it's a .dxf or .dwg file could get the dims from that and cross check with the steel drawing

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 pm

mark270981 wrote:I hope you’ve agreed your fees for the research and design!

Hi Mark,
I've already lost 3 days and I only priced the job for 4 as once I know the section they are very simple..I've now bought another job forward so the window job will either have to wait or they can find someone else to do it. If the builder doesn't come up with something I won't be doing any more work for them.

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:39 pm

furynaturre wrote:Leveller,

Do you have a CAD programe?

If so this link will give you .dxf files of the crittall product, but you'll obviously need to know exactly what secction/window style is to be fabricated. Fabco (similar to crittall will be different again etc.)

https://www.crittall-windows.co.uk/prof ... downloads/

If you don't have CAD send me a PM with your number and I'll get the section dimensions for you.

James

P.S This is obviously only for the steel bit it will be down to you work out what sizes to make the rebate but that's just normal, from my use of crittall and Fabco their tolerances for fitting are quite tight. If you want I could also look at the timber section you found and if it's a .dxf or .dwg file could get the dims from that and cross check with the steel drawing

Hi James, Thanks for the message .Sadly I don't have CAD but did see the "typical timber sections" on Crittalls website but no dims............ Crittal guy told me they would be the W20 sections if that helps. I will send you a PM and thanks again James.

highbury02
Subscriber

Postby highbury02 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Wenban smith are the main agent for crittals 01903 230311

Return to “Woodworking”