Bench top Thicknessers.

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
nos

Bench top Thicknessers.

Post by nos »

Going to get one of these this week I had set my heart on the Metabo DH300, mainly for its slightly wider width, did a fair bit of research, but have come up with a few reviews on YouTube and not too nice. :o The main problem seems to be the quality of the knife holders they are soft and sawdust can be pushed in between the holder and the knife, thereby distorting the blades, also to replace the knife is £70 a time, also if doing hardwood the blocks end bearings tend to wear out quicker, so I think I need to change tack a DeWalt DW 735X 3 knifes, but no delivery to Europe so next is DeWalt and the slightly smaller DW 733, seems to have good reviews, the Makita also came out ok but a bit over priced I think, thoughts welcome. Will be getting a floor standing one later in the year for heaver work.
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: Bench top Thicknessers.

Post by Meccarroll »

nos wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:41 pm Going to get one of these this week I had set my heart on the Metabo DH300, mainly for its slightly wider width, did a fair bit of research, but have come up with a few reviews on YouTube and not too nice. :o The main problem seems to be the quality of the knife holders they are soft and sawdust can be pushed in between the holder and the knife, thereby distorting the blades, also to replace the knife is £70 a time, also if doing hardwood the blocks end bearings tend to wear out quicker, so I think I need to change tack a DeWalt DW 735X 3 knifes, but no delivery to Europe so next is DeWalt and the slightly smaller DW 733, seems to have good reviews, the Makita also came out ok but a bit over priced I think, thoughts welcome. Will be getting a floor standing one later in the year for heaver work.
I'd save my money and put it to a decent planer thicknesser unless you really need a bench top thicknesser. Maybe something like this on ebay would do for a start then sell it on later: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265768904786 ... 7etoCvYQ
woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith »

I had a DeWalt thicknesser for years and it worked well, if a bit noisy.
Keith
nos

Post by nos »

Thanks I should have put my location on have just tried and don't know how, but I live in France so Ebay Uk is no good sorry, French Ebay has a few but they are a very long way from my home, also they all tend to be 3Ph I only have single. Will keep on looking, in the UK we have a very large number of professional and DIY woodworkers so lot of choice out here not so.