top rail for wall panelling

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
sms25

top rail for wall panelling

Post by sms25 »

Hi everyone
I an trying to install a top rail to finish off my eall panelling going up the stairs. I have a panel along the stairs at 45 degrees and another panel which is straight and i need to make a cut to joing the top rail perfectly. However i have racked my brains and cant seem to figure out how to do this. i have attached pictures of the panelling and also the type of top rail i am using. All help is appreciated.
Attachments
5D0085F5-C934-4A7B-9C57-9DE2A1026336-min.jpeg
75125752-495D-49C3-A5EB-7AC770B36F98-min.jpeg
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: top rail for wall panelling

Post by Meccarroll »

Yes you could just run your bottom panel as shown in your picture or you could also take the top panel to the end of the landing then run your stair panel into the side of it.

Some people might put a ramp on it (Curve the two to meet). It's a matter of what looks right to you.

If you take a look at some geometrical stairs and how they are finished you should get a better idea of what the finished item will look like.
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll »

Take a look at the below picture. Yes the top panel is cut away for the window but the principle is still the same.

If as in your case the the panel running up the stairs is lower then you could just butt up to the side of the landing panel then run your moulding up the side then along the top of the landing panel.

Lots of ways to do it really.

Mark

Attachments
Landing panel.JPG
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll »

The first image is where the stair panel butts into the side of the landing panel. Try to ignore the upper panels on the wall, just visulise those concerning the stair and landing junction.

The other two are where the stair panel continues through. to meet with the top of the landing panel rail.

You could also try ramping to meet both panels.

Image[
Attachments
Panel 4.JPG
Panel 3.JPG
Panel 2.JPG
sms25

Post by sms25 »

thanks for all the comments and advice. Having the pictures to see has made it alot easier to visualise. i will be trying to undertake the task later today and feel more confident in appraoching it. the pictures of the panelling sent by you all look fantastic. thanks all.
Oldboy22
Occasional Poster

Post by Oldboy22 »

You need to try to go round the stair landing level , that probably means cutting a small piece of the top and putting it on the bottom, but then your panels at the top and bottom need altering ,otherwise your going to have trouble.

I’ve enclosed a drawing to show how mouldings change as they go from raking to level
Attachments
ED368934-9118-474C-8C97-0990A4421281.png