Newbie!!

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Davr

Newbie!!

Post by Davr » Tue May 11, 2021 12:18 am

Hi all,

As with the recent nice weather and covid, it is time for a hobby, to keep myself out of mischief. I thought I would have a dabble at woodworking. So like most, have watched a number of You Tube video's and figure I would have a try at a small coffee table to start me off.

I am a little unsure about the timber. Pine always seems to be the answer, but that seems to be about it.....not the type. for example B and Q offer
Constructional Timber of Scant & CLS Sawn Kiln Dried and Carcassing.
They also do Finishing Timber such as Redwood PSE (Planed Smooth)
Sawn Timber

My thought process is that the Finishing timber is the way to go, but then if I will be chopping and cutting the lengths to different pieces and that sanding and smoothing will be required after making the table top, is the Sawn Timber, Scant, CLS or kiln dried be just as good. I've just clicked on the treated carcass sawn timber now it it looks quite smooth with rounded edges.

Its all very confusing, and this is on the B and Q website, who try to design their website easy for novices like me. I've tried the local timber yard website with similar confusion :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dave
(not davr, a mistype that will forever last !!)

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Re: Newbie!!

Post by davidpidge » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:55 pm

What tools or machinery do you have right now? Can you find a local cabinet maker or joinery company to supply some better timber? Some timber merchants will machine timber to the finished sizes you want then you can just cut to length and join it however you like.