Double glazed sash windows

Show us your on-going and completed projects.
jfc
Administrator

Double glazed sash windows

Post by jfc »

Thought I’d do another sash window thread since it’s been a while . Still got two bays upstairs to do so here’s one fitted downstairs to start .
98BC7552-3A9A-4A30-B4FC-3CA4D31F44C6.jpeg
Trevanion

Re: Double glazed sash windows

Post by Trevanion »

Very nice! I particularly like the architrave, very smart looking. Do they all open or is it only the centre sashes that open?

Did a bunch of triple-glazed sash windows a few months ago, sixteen in all (excluding fifteen casement windows and several doors!) with four of them being triple width boxes with all six sashes opening, a palaver to say the least but they did look very nice once done, 190mm thick boxes with 71mm thick sashes.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool »

Tidy work, Jas, as ever. Unusual to see horns on the inside up here in these parts.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Oldboy22
Occasional Poster

Post by Oldboy22 »

They all look very nice, clean and crisp. I’ve made and repaired dozens over the years but all single glazed, but didn’t take any pictures. Looking forward to this post.
jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc »

Trevanion wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:08 pm Very nice! I particularly like the architrave, very smart looking. Do they all open or is it only the centre sashes that open?

Did a bunch of triple-glazed sash windows a few months ago, sixteen in all (excluding fifteen casement windows and several doors!) with four of them being triple width boxes with all six sashes opening, a palaver to say the least but they did look very nice once done, 190mm thick boxes with 71mm thick sashes.

Nice work !
Can i ask what the cut outs are for on the internal of the lining ? Some kind of pocket ?

Mine are all opening . The architrave is made up of three parts . Very simple but looks quite good i think . Its just 145 x 15 - 95 x 15 with a c*ck bead routed in and some 60mm ogee on the top .
I make quite alot of double glazed sashes now so ill show some of the tooling i use or have had made .
I add the joggles to the inside as it makes the top rail joint stronger . Although the springs take alot of the weight the windows are still heavy and the top rail takes alot of strain if the sash lifts are not used .
I delivered some a while back where the forman decided to store the sashes flat . As we lifted it flat the weight was released from the bottom sash and it shot up like a bullet ! If the joggles where not on i'm sure the fella would have lost his fingers :o
Trevanion

Post by Trevanion »

jfc wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:19 am Nice work !
Can i ask what the cut outs are for on the internal of the lining ? Some kind of pocket ?
Yes, they are pockets. There are many different variations of pocket design but I find this way to be rather quick, mark across two square lines where you want your pockets and make two opposing cuts with a jigsaw at 45-degrees, drill three holes in the back (one at each end of the cut and one in the middle, just two on smaller pockets) on the pillar drill with a Forstner bit halfway through the pulley stile until you break out into the parting bead groove, then as I tongue and groove the boxes the traditional way as opposed to just butt and nailing them together I need to run the tongue off where the pocket goes otherwise you won't be able to remove it if you ever need to replace the cord, so I run the tongue off on the spindle moulder leaving a millimeter of tongue behind so that it still "clicks" into the groove of the inner casing but once you run a saw down the groove in the parting bead groove the pocket will freely be removed.

It sounds like a lot of work but it's the fastest method I've come up with, alternatively, some people will cut a section of the stile out and put a cross-grain rebate top and bottom and make a matching pocket piece which is then screwed in place, but this is labour intensive and requires more timber. Other people might also do it the traditional way of making a mitre cut halfway through the stile's face at the top of the pocket, and a straight cut at the bottom of the pocket, then two straight cuts at the back about 3/8" away from the front cuts and then drill a hole at each end of these cuts in the parting bead groove and join them with a saw, which means the pocket only needs to be tapped with a hammer to break the grain between the two cuts in the front and rear faces and the pocket is removable and quite easily screwed back in place, also, labour intensive.

I know people that don't even bother with the pocket and claim that the nylon cord will never break.
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll »

Nice of you to post Jason but I'd really like a few more photos next time please, it tells your story. Still very nice to see mate.

Personally I think sliding sash windows were and still are one of the best designed windows around.
jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc »

Meccarroll wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:11 pm Nice of you to post Jason but I'd really like a few more photos next time please, it tells your story. Still very nice to see mate.

Personally I think sliding sash windows were and still are one of the best designed windows around.
still got the upstairs bays to do
jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc »

So I start the upstairs next week . I’ve had some cutters made as I seem to be doing a lot of sashes . The old system of grooving out the frames took up a fair bit of time but now I can do them in one .
7E596112-89EC-4964-9240-0EAFEFAF856C.jpeg
thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool »

I didn't think you had that much headroom in your workshop, Jas ? :lol:
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll »

jfc wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:15 pm So I start the upstairs next week . I’ve had some cutters made as I seem to be doing a lot of sashes . The old system of grooving out the frames took up a fair bit of time but now I can do them in one .
It looks like those cutters are made for balanced springs not weights. Good idea with the cutters Jase.
jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc »

Meccarroll wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:26 pm
jfc wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:15 pm So I start the upstairs next week . I’ve had some cutters made as I seem to be doing a lot of sashes . The old system of grooving out the frames took up a fair bit of time but now I can do them in one .
It looks like those cutters are made for balanced springs not weights. Good idea with the cutters Jase.
Yes . All my double glazed sashes are made with springs . I found early on trying to get the extra weight into the box was a nightmare . There just isnt room with traditional cast iron ones !